Mac OS X and macOS Installation
Please do not skip any of the steps!
Getting BolehVPN up and running for the Mac consists of 3 easy steps:
- Install the BolehVPN Mac client.
- Choose the right server: Each configuration is specially optimized for different purposes.
- (Optional) Configure your programs: Some servers require proxy settings to be configured
BolehVPN-GUI is our customized program to connect to our VPN servers and retrieve our configuration files automatically.
Tunnelblick is an open source OpenVPN client for OS X and macOS. You can download the latest version of Tunnelblick here and follow our Tunnelblick guide, to configure it to connect to our servers.
This will only work for Mac OS X 10.6.8 until 10.12.
If you are using OS X Leopard (10.5.0) and below, please visit Tunnelblick and follow their guidelines for earlier versions of OS X.
- BolehVPN GUI v2.0.3 (Mac OS X 10.7.5 to 10.12) (Recommended version)
- For earlier versions, please visit Tunnelblick and follow their guidelines for earlier version of OS X.
- Double click the downloaded file and drag the BolehVPN.app icon into your Applications Folder. You can do this within the finder window as shown.
- Start the application by double-clicking the BolehVPN.app in your Application finder window.
- Upon running the program for the first time, you will be prompted to enter your root password. This is needed in order to set it up.
- You will now be prompted to enter in your username and password. This is the same username and password that you use to login into our order page.
- By default, the configuration files and certificates will be updated on every startup. This can be changed easily by going to the Settings tab. Here you can configure the GUI to your liking.
- Once it has successfully updated you will see a drop-down list with multiple VPN options. For starters, you can try connect via any FullyRouted server to see if there are any glitches. Select a server from the list then click Connect.
- Give it a few moments and congratulations, you should now be connected! You can double check your IP address by visiting this link.
- Now before you go on, please click Disconnect and proceed to the next section to learn about our servers.
For users who do not wish to use BolehVPN-GUI and wish to use the default Tunnelblick software click here.
CREDITS AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
BolehVPN-GUI is our proprietary program that merely acts as graphical user interface to simplify the VPN setup process.
Its backbone however is based off the following open source technologies and code which are freely available and open to inspection:
You will have noticed several configuration options from the drop-down menu. This is probably the most important part of the setup since failing to understand what each configuration does may prevent you from getting the most out of BolehVPN.
In a nutshell, there are 6 main types as shown in the table below:
|Proxied||Fully Routed||Surfing/Streaming||TCP Server||Cloak||BolehGeo|
|Locations of Servers||
United States (surfing/streaming only)
Japan (surfing/streaming only)
|Best Used For||
Routing specific connections through the VPN
Accessing/ streaming geo-specific Content (Hulu, Pandora, etc)
Cloaks VPN traffic to look like normal traffic using regular ports such as port 80 and 443 (TCP and UDP)
Used in restrictive countries such as and Iran
Accessing/ streaming geo-specific Content (Hulu, Pandora, etc)
|Additional Setup||Programs need to be configured to use SOCKS Proxy||Not Required||Depending on name, will work like Proxied or FullyRouted||Not Required|
Each of these configurations have a distinct purpose, therefore it is important to read through this section carefully to utilize this service to its maximum extent.
BolehVPN is one of the few VPN providers that offers a wide range of options all in one package.
Server locations: Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, UK
All these configurations are in a proxied setup which means you will need to set up your software before using the VPN. Any software that is not configured will go through your regular unprotected internet connection. Proceed to Step 4 to learn how to configure your software when you are ready.
- Does not affect other latency sensitive applications like MSN/surfing/gaming therefore you can do all your other tasks without feeling any slowdown. VPNs in general add latency to your connection.
- Works well for most purposes and well seeded torrents
- If properly configured, an interruption of your connection to our VPN servers will not leave you exposed.
- You will not be fully connectable and will appear as firewalled. This is inevitable as it uses a proxy. This might reduce your ability to connect to peers and is relevant when the seeder/peer ratio is bad or there are very few people on the torrent. This also gives you LowID with Emule
- Requires the program you wish to pass through the VPN to have SOCKS Proxy support and be configured appropriately.
- Some programs due to faulty programming do not use the VPN proxy exclusively and may still use your regular connection for certain connections. Therefore this is not suitable for those who wants complete privacy.
- Slightly higher overhead due to usage of a SOCKS proxy.
Server locations: Canada, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
‘FullyRouted’ is different where all your data is automatically routed to the VPN. This means everything including surfing, internet messengers (Skype) and any other software that requires internet-connection will have go through the VPN.
You do not need to configure your programs to use the VPN if you use this.
- Offers a high degree of privacy/security for your internet enabled applications
- Painless setup since once you are connected to the VPN; you need not configure anything else
- May work better with poorly seeded trackers
- Increases latency/lag on all other applications that means surfing, Skype and everything else that uses the internet will have a longer reponse time due to the additional route your internet connection has to take.
Server locations: United States, United Kingdom, Malaysia, Italy, Japan
The Surfing/Streaming servers CANNOT be used for P2P but is especially good for streaming US-only content such as Hulu, Pandora, Veoh and such.
Note that there are SurfingStreamingTCP options that are intended only for people with firewalls that do not allow UDP connections. Please stick with the standard servers if possible as they are faster and more stable unless absolutely necessary.
Specifying a proxy is unnecessary. It works similarly as the ‘FullyRouted’ configurations where you could just connect and start surfing!
However certain internet-enabled programs might not work while this setting is applied.
Server location: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Singapore, Japan, United States, United Kingdom
In order to bypass the strict internet firewall in countries such as China and Iran, we have prepared the Cloak configurations, an improvement on our older XCloak configurations.
Please take note that the Cloak configuration also has suffixes that determines the type of connection it will make, which corresponds to the other 3 configurations mentioned above.
For CloakProxy, proxy settings must be configured and this can be viewed in Step 4.
e. TCP Servers
Server location: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Singapore, United States, United Kingdom
The TCP servers suffixes in some of our configuration allows you to bypass corporate/campus firewalls. This should be only used if you are unable to connect to our servers due to a firewall. This works on majority of the firewalls but there are still setups out there that can block it. You can also use this if you suffer from a poor internet connection with packet loss. Please note that the TCP protocol will not be as fast as the other UDP servers.
These servers work as Proxied, FullyRouted, SurfingStreaming, CloakRouted, or CloakProxy servers based on the name, meaning you would need to configure your software to use proxies in order to divert the traffic through the VPN only if you use the Proxied TCP servers. You can see this is done in the next step.
Server location: Canada, Netherlands, Singapore
BolehGeo allows you to access sites that are restricted to US address without the use of a VPN. In other words, the lag and overhead inherent from using a VPN are eliminated, thus faster streaming speeds can be observed. This would also means you won’t be getting the privacy and security benefits that would otherwise be present with the use of a VPN.
Please take note that this feature is strictly for making your computer to appear from the US on geo-specific media sites.
We have tested this list of streaming services and found that they work well with this new feature.
3. Hulu Plus
Do let us know if there are any geo-restricted sites for the US that you would like to see added to this list and how this works out for you! Remember to clear your cookies before trying out the sites!
Now it’s time to configure your programs!
If you are using a ‘Proxied’ server, you would need to configure your programs to go through the VPN (unless you don’t want them to).
FullyRouted and Surfing/Streaming configurations do not require these additional steps as all your data will be redirected through the VPN automatically once you are connected.
Make sure you have the Use this connection only for resources on its network box checked under IPv4 Settings > Routes. Otherwise, keep it unchecked.
For any torrent clients, please enter the following:
Port: 1080 (SOCKS)
Make sure to enter the following details in the relevant fields:
Port: 808(HTTP) or 1080 (SOCKS)
You can also always drop by our Helpdesk or Support Forums to ask for help in configuring a particular program.
If you do need help, there’s a few options available for you.
- First of all, have a read through our FAQ and see if there’s an answer to your question there.
- If you don’t find an answer, submit a support ticket and we’ll get back to you. Do note that we’ll need the logs from the Log tab of the BolehVPN client, as well as info about your system (antivirus / firewall status).
- Register for and check out our support forum for other info, or make your post here for help.