Author Topic: Port 443 Tunnel  (Read 6017 times)

priv-nparjbqm

Port 443 Tunnel
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
Hello. (Posted the following into the "General" section but re-posting here - no replies so maybe the wrong section...)

Great work to the BolehPN guys to keep the Internet private & free (unfortunately not cost!).

My only complaint which may stop me from renewing is that many locations block outbound ports, such as the official OpenVPN port. However, they don't block 443.

I am aware that BolehVPN has a 443 proxy-based solution but this seems to be really slow from wherever I access it. And it needs additional config & setup etc. i.e. a  nuisance.

At my previous company we did a config that allowed the OpenVPN server to listen on 443 and treat it as an normal openvpn tunnel connection (i.e. like bolehroute), in addition to the official openvpn port.

Any chance that BolehVPN would consider doing this instead of using this current proxy-based 443 service?

Thanks!

Offline PitBoss

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Port 443 Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
All our servers are running on port 443 as of now. However it is running at UDP protocol instead of TCP.
For streaming download, UDP provides the best performance but most corporate firewall disable UDP. Therefore we have servers running using TCP443 but this is vpn proxy server, not bolehroute.

We may add a new server to cater to bolehroute TCP443 but please be aware, anything that run on TCP will not have the best performance as our UDP servers.

Co-Founder / Administrator

priv-nparjbqm

Re: Port 443 Tunnel
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
Thanks Pit Boss!

I think a TCP443 server that links into the main bolehroute cluster would be a good idea. It may also attract more customers who are currently blocked.

It would also save much frustration in public places, and also reduce those that believe the current 443 proxy gives them full privacy like bolehroute option. It would also not require all the SOCKS proxy config etc.

The performance for the TCP443 openvpn server on my company network wasn't too bad for general web surfing, just not for video etc.

Hopefully you find a spare server to add to the cluster soon! :) (Maybe one of your network gaming ones!)