Author Topic: Usage questions - concurrent PC's  (Read 14069 times)

Puulima

Usage questions - concurrent PC's
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »
I'm in Canada and would like to use your VPN for 2 things: torrents and US TV via Boxee and Hulu. Sounds like more than one PC can connect on a single account if on one Internet connection?  But I'm confused by the different options/setup. How would I go about setting 2 PC's up - one to download torrent related material, the other to stream TV?   Obviously wouldn't have both actively in use at the same time but there may be some overlap at times. And can I setup 2 PC's to stream at the same time?  Thanks.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Usage questions - concurrent PC's
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
Yes no problem, just install in both computers but recommended to disconnect when u're not using it :D
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Puulima

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »
Signed up for the 3 day trial last night...plan to install and test it out today.  Question:  there is a newer version of OpenVPN available - latest stable release is 2.1.3 - can I use that?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »
Yup, it should be fine.

Puulima

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »
Had it connected on one PC (US Streaming) but PC was idle. Connected on 2nd PC and the connection kept dropping and reconnecting. Checked on the first PC and looks like the same thing. Any idea what the issue might be? 

And the P2P works great (public) but the US streaming is slow. After I disconnected PC#1 - no more dropping of the connection on PC#2 - but the speedtests were slow and impact on streaming was apparent..keeps buffeting and some content wouldn't play. The server is located quite a ways from me so perhaps part of the issue?  The latency is a big number too.

Help?

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
You can't connect to the same configuration on 2 pcs. The server won't accept it. Generally our view is that people only stream from one pc at a time and if they're sharing with other people, then they should be getting their own keys as well.

US Streaming will be moved to a different datacentre in a bit (we're setting it up actually today) but generally if you are far away from US, then generally it all depends on the routing. Speedtest results will never be ideal with such distance. It's akin to testing a speedtest with a US server while you're in Asia.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Puulima

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
Thanks - I misunderstood, the tail end of my initial question was the 2 streaming PC setup.  Understand now how it works.

Where will the new datacenter be located...Chicago maybe ;-)  I'm in that general area... Will the speed be better in general as a result of the changes you're making?  Unfortunately I don't have a great deal of bandwith - they're supposed to be upgrading us soon, but right now, can't afford to lose much before things start buffering.  I'll keep testing...

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:19:42 AM »
I believe it'll be in California. Having some issues in setting it up due to poor response time of the hosts.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Puulima

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
You can't connect to the same configuration on 2 pcs. The server won't accept it. Generally our view is that people only stream from one pc at a time and if they're sharing with other people, then they should be getting their own keys as well.

Last night the US streaming worked (after some buffering issues at the start of each show being watched) - I watched several streamed TV shows via Boxee.  Tonight I connected and although several websites report my IP as being in the US - when I start Boxee - I keep getting those annoying "not available in your region" messages - so somehow I don't have a US IP address??  I don't know how to troubleshoot that.  The icon in the system tray shows green, it said I successfully connected and gave me an IP address starting with 10.xx  The IP address per speedtest.net and whatismyip.com starts with a 67.xx (and speedtest.net shows it physically located in the mid/south US.

I was connected via Bolehroute on my office PC but disconnected just in case that was creating the issue - no change.

How do I troubleshoot this?  It doesn't make sense to me.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:44:45 AM »
Hrm...are there any cache/cookies in Boxee? i'm not familiar with Boxee's setup.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
Just out of curiosity, aren't you located in the US anyway? If you're using the US-Surfing to evade your ISP's data cap, I'm afraid that won't work, we only mask the contents of your traffic, can't do anything about the amount of traffic from you.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
He's in Canada

Co-Founder/Administrator

Puulima

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:11:21 AM »
Hrm...are there any cache/cookies in Boxee? i'm not familiar with Boxee's setup.

Wierd - it was connecting ok last night - just left it running and it works - well I wasn't getting the REGION error messages, but the bandwith was horrible.  My service is rated at 5Mb down, 1up...I typically get about 3.6down and 450k up...when testing other VPN's I was able to get pretty close to those results, worse case - 80% or so of my usual speeds.  When I first tested the US Streaming, I was in the low 2's down (don't recall the up?).  Last night I was getting 400k down and 40k up!!

I may have to go with somebody else for the streaming and perhaps do the torrent stuff with you guys..unless your CA server ends up being faster?  That's further away from me though...

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
Wait for the california server which would be up sometime today.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Puulima

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »
Wait for the california server which would be up sometime today.

Bad timing - looks like my 3 day trial account must have expired as I now see yellow for the VPN icon in the systray - and it says "connecting" but my IP is back to CDN.

Is the California server up?  If so, can you give me 24 hours to test it?