Author Topic: What ports are used to connect?  (Read 11888 times)

polyphase

What ports are used to connect?
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:58:54 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a VPN solution that will help bypass my campus firewall. I would like to know what port BolehVPN servers use. My campus firewall only allows traffic through common ports like 80 and 443. If it works then I'll subscribe.

Thanks.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: What ports are used to connect?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:00:07 AM »
We are not a firewall bypass service as we find TCP connections are less stable and give lesser performance in general
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

polyphase

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
Thank you for your prompt reply. Well in general VPN solutions are for bypassing ISP restrictions. In my case my campus internet provider is restricting the applications and ports that I can use on the connection that I rightfully paid for. Now I'm using Hotspot Shield free VPN to bypass these restrictions, but I prefer a more stable solution that supports P2P.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
A VPN is for many things. Bypassing ISP restrictions and bypassing uni/corporate firewalls are not really the same thing.

In any case, this is a business and stability decision in choosing not to support TCP traffic from high speed uni/corporate networks. We have tested this out before and were not happy with the results when speed tended to fluctuate and also generate higher loads on servers with the added overhead. This also became a problem especially when smart IT admins just simply blocked our server IPs (partly due to silly users who decided to eat 30 mbit 24/7 and aroused suspicion) and have had users demand for refunds when this happened.

Perhaps in the future we'll provide this with a different price plan or a bandwidth quota but not right now.

Please take note that your campus internet provider is probably offering you internet at a subsidized rate already and on the basis that you don't P2P, so I don't think you can claim that you 'rightfully' paid for it. In my experience in uni in the UK, the rates charged were nominal though of course this may be different in your case.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

polyphase

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
Actually my campus has two networks - the main network and hostel network. The main network is blazingly fast but with many restrictions - I doubt that even Hotspot Shield can run on it. I'll be using the VPN primarily from my hostel network, which is managed by a third party (Extreme Broadband). Speeds are capped at 128kbps and although it's mentioned as 'free', the fact remains that they increased the hostel rates by RM25 before implementing this 'free' service. So RM25 per month for a mere 128kbps is what I rightfully paid for, given that internet services outside is cheaper.

I understand that using TCP gives a higher overhead, but given that my internet speed is limited to 16kB/s download speed, this would not be an issue. Hotspot Shield managed to do that for free, and I'm willing to pay just to be able to P2P and get those annoying ads removed.

Offline maverickneo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
Heh.. looks like all 3 of us are from Nottingham... including me. Anyway, on topic, its true that our hostel is limited to just 15Kb/s, and it sux for the price, no doubt. I've also tried to get through the main network's firewall a few times, almost got me account permanently banned.. heh.

Although, I thought you should know, I've used BVPN on the hostel lines in the beginning of the semester flawlessly, at that time I subscribed to a higher speed through SNS, but in the 2nd sem, along with dwindling personal funds, :D, I dropped the higher speed for the "free" line, and it wasn't worth it using BVPN on the line, just a waste..

I suggest getting a trial account and see if the BVPN still can be used on the hostel line, I doubt it is blocked. Good luck bro!

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
Wahh u guys are from Notts? :D hehe i'm also a Notts alumni :D

Co-Founder/Administrator

polyphase

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
Lol... seems like a common problem facing Notts students. maverickneo, are you a current student? Since when you started using BVPN on SNS?

As far as I know UDP and most TCP ports are blocked. That's why I'm asking on this forum. At the moment I can't access the OVPN config files to test connectivity because of insufficient forum privilege. If I were to pay for a trial account then there's a huge chance that my money will go down the drain. So what do you say admin?

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 04:18:01 PM »
Check your yahoo e-mail (esp spam box)
I sent the trial for you to test.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:28:57 PM »
Please do reply with feedback

Co-Founder/Administrator

polyphase

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
I was going to give feedback but was too busy trying out BolehVPN! Apparently I was wrong about them blocking UDP traffic.

Using BolehVPN is quite a liberating experience, after living behind a firewall for so long. My eMule application managed to find tons of sources, more than I had ever seen even using Streamyx. But as maverickneo pointed out, its capabilities are severely limited due to the bandwidth cap imposed. Really looking forward to try BolehVPN on my Streamyx connection.

I have also asked my friend to try it out, and he's quite please with the service provided. But he says it could be better if there're Japanese and Russian servers.

Anyway thanks Reuben for the trial account - it certainly gives a peek to what it's like using an unthrottled internet connection. Also it's good to know that my hostel connection is capable of supporting it. I would certainly recommend people to try it. As for myself - running P2P under such a slow environment still isn't that worth it. Possibly when I get home for summer break I'll purchase a trial account to run on my Streamyx line. 8)

EDIT: But then again, it seems like I'm getting addicted to it... Will decide whether to continue this service after the trial period. You accept payments by ATM transfer rite?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:58:06 PM by polyphase »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 09:34:32 PM »
Just to let u know...Russian servers aren't good...Japanese servers...don't give bang for buck. Take a good look around, we've looked into those providers already and if there's really someone good well then your friend should let us know so we can consider including it in :D

When P2Ping, latency isn't a big deal. Try pinging a Russian site...I'm sure you would see high pings as well.

Yes I accept ATM transfer.

It would be a bit disappointing if we met all your expectations, given you a free trial, replied to your queries only to be told nawp...you don't want it.:P

Co-Founder/Administrator

polyphase

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
The reason my friend wanted Russian and Japanese servers is that he wanted to access country-specific sites there; he has no clue about the quality of servers.

Well in return for you providing me with a trial account, I've written an honest and accurate review about the experience of using BolehVPN for the first time ;D If I didn't subscribe within these few days then it's has nothing to do with the quality of your services. You see,  as a student I have a tight budget. If my parents find out that I'm paying RM30/mth for something called 'VPN' then I've got a lot of questions to answer....  :o

My chief concern is that even though with many sources, eMule is still running at average 10 kB/s. I thought with a VPN service eMule would run close to my line speed of 16 kB/s. At this rate, by the time all my downloads finish it would be summer break already :( So I thought of postponing my downloads until I reach home, then I can test the true power of Streamyx + BolehVPN combo  :P

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
Sure that's fine then :D Remember there's some overhead and it also depends on the people u are dling from in Emule.

Upon full subscription you get access to IPT a private tracker site which should max out your speed.

Co-Founder/Administrator

polyphase

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 11:37:46 PM »
Hey Reuben,

I've decided that I would subscribe after all! I'll take the 30 days service. I'll transfer the money via ATM tomorrow.