Author Topic: questions from carmatic  (Read 14311 times)

Offline carmatic

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
questions from carmatic
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:34:39 AM »
OK, abit about myself... I am using streamyx , and im using the modem that tm provided in bridge mode and using the pppoe client on xp
i am thinking that openvpn is to the pppoe client, is what the pppoe client is to 'local area network connection' in windows?

also in the past few days i have been playing with a program called DrTCP , it lets me modify values like MTU, Receive window, etc... in particular i am thinking of tweaking the receive window (rwin) , because your host is in the UK so the latency will be high, and the rwin should be increased... is that correct?

and finally, i am using DC++ , but i am not using it in a high-bandwidth manner... just using it to download rare files, no movies or programs or anything, lots of waiting for other people's upload slots, rare files so not alot of people to open connections to, maximum 1gb download a day and i can slow down my uploads to other people alot by messing with a program setting, but it doesnt like to use socks proxy, will that be a problem?
streamyx throttling is severly crippling my program because it doesnt just affect my downloads from other people but also my connection to the servers used by the program for searching for files etc, funny thing is that tmnet lets me upload at full speed (40KB/sec) all day and all night...

one more thing about myself, i do not ever use torrents or anything, the other file sharing program i use is soulseek which has an even higher upload/download ratio, it does not have multi source downloading and the program is almost always waiting for other people's download slots while constantly uploading to other people, but it has a built in upload kbps limiter so again i can turn it down if needed
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:44:42 AM by carmatic »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: questions from carmatic
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:55 AM »
Erm no different thing carmatic regarding PPPoE :P

A properly tuned RWIN would already have taken into account the average latency you should get so you shouldn't need to increase it too much.

If it doesn't like to use socks proxy u can use our bolehroute function instead.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline carmatic

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:45:48 AM »
can you tell me more about bolehroute? socks proxy = no ... for me...

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:55:13 AM »
opens up ports 1024-65000, get your own IP, everything goes through the VPN :P

*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline carmatic

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »
nice, i like the idea
im interested, is this the same as bolehvpn or is it a seperate product?

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:20:49 AM »
It's the same product. Comes bundled with it :D

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline carmatic

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »
how exactly do i do it?
pretend that i have already paid and i have the email with the openvpn files, and im using windows xp, what do i do to get bolehroute?

::edit:: i think i will defo sign up once i get the money... rm5 isnt too bad
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:58:18 AM by carmatic »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »
Our installation instructions are here:

http://www.bolehvpn.net/install.html :D

looking forward to having you as a subscriber.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline carmatic

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:39:15 AM »
what is the pros and cons of proxied vs fully routed? is one slower than the other or something like that?

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
what is the pros and cons of proxied vs fully routed? is one slower than the other or something like that?

1) BolehVPN: bolehvpn.ovpn

This is the recommended and default setup which works out of the box. Most people should use this setup.

BolehVPN is a proxied setup which means you only choose what program uses the VPN. Any program you do not specify to go through the VPN will go through your regular connection.

Pros

* Most redundant since most of our servers are configured in this way. Therefore even if one or two servers go down, you will still be able to use this service.
    * Does not affect other latency sensitive applications like MSN/surfing/gaming therefore you can do all your other tasks without feeling any slowdown.
    * Works well for most purposes and well seeded torrents

Cons

* You will not be fully connectable and will appear as firewalled. This is inevitable as it uses a proxy. This might reduce your ability to connect to peers and is relevant when the seeder/peer ratio is bad or there are very few people on the torrent. This also gives you LowID with Emule
    * Requires the program you wish to pass through the VPN to have Socks Proxy support and be configured appropriately.

2) BolehRoute: bolehroute.ovpn

BolehRoute is different in which everything is automatically routed to the VPN. Everything including surfing, browsing, MSNing and any programs that use the internet will have their communications go through the VPN.

You need not configure your programs to use the VPN if you use BolehRoute.

Pros

* Full connectability from ports 1024-65000, with no firewalled status
    * Good for programs like Emule/SoulSeek which is highly dependent on full connectability
    * Good for computers dedicated to downloading
    * Offers a degree of privacy/security for your internet enabled applications
    * Painless setup since once you are connected to the VPN, you need not configure anything else
    * May work better with poorly seeded trackers

Cons

* Increases latency on all other applications that means surfing, MSN and everything else that uses the internet will have a longer reponse time due to the additional route your internet connection has to take.
    * Only one server to use. (may change with sufficient demand)

If you don't know what all this means, just stick with BolehVPN and leave BolehRoute aside. Both solutions are offered to you at no extra cost unlike other providers. We give you the best value and the appropriate solution for any situation with these two setups.

Co-Founder/Administrator

xavier7

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »
sorry to hijack this thread, but :p

any time soon you're gonna add another server for bolehroute? or there's just not too many users using it?
i think i'm the only emule user on this board >_<

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
Well if it isn't full what's the point of adding a new one if u know what i'm saying :P

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

time to put the poor mule(s) to pasture.

xavier7

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

time to put the poor mule(s) to pasture.

nooooooooo~~~ i'll never leave mah mule!!!!!1111

*pats mule on head*

xavier7

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »
Well if it isn't full what's the point of adding a new one if u know what i'm saying :P

lolz, exactly how many users are using it if i may know?