Author Topic: Internet Kill Switch???  (Read 10486 times)

Offline KeyserSoze

Internet Kill Switch???
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:10:15 AM »
I was interested if bolehvpn has this feature?

VPN clients with an ‘internet kill switch’
Perhaps the simplest way to ensure that no programs access the internet except over VPN, is to use am ‘internet kill switch’ built into your providers VPN client. Choosing this setting in the client’s Settings dialog will prevent all traffic in and out of the computer in the event of a VPN fail.

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated,
KeyserSoze

Offline chuckchuck

Re: Internet Kill Switch???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:39:32 AM »
I have been using a program called VPNCheck Pro to perform what you are asking for,
Once configured if the VPN connection is lost, it will kill all programs that are using the connection

Code: [Select]
http://www.guavi.com/vpncheck_pro.php

Offline fredsanford

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
If running Linux you can use iptables firewall rules to restrict internet traffic to the VPN tunnel such that if the VPN goes down there's no internet access.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
Hi,

Must have missed this thread. Yes, we have a built in kill switch that freezes your connection in the event that OpenVPN reports a disconnect. We also have a Lockdown feature that can be used as a superior kill switch.

How Lockdown works is that it disables the default route, forcing all traffic (even LAN) out over the VPN. This persists until you manually hit disconnect in the BolehVPN client.

Offline shadowdrifter

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
I also have been using VPN check Pro for about the past 4 years. It has worked very well, and never failed me. I highly recommend it. It's very easy to configure. http://www.guavi.com/vpncheck_pro.php

Offline laurel38

• Boatswain
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 03:43:22 AM »
Hi,

Must have missed this thread. Yes, we have a built in kill switch that freezes your connection in the event that OpenVPN reports a disconnect. We also have a Lockdown feature that can be used as a superior kill switch.

How Lockdown works is that it disables the default route, forcing all traffic (even LAN) out over the VPN. This persists until you manually hit disconnect in the BolehVPN client.

I recently had one of the servers go down in the middle of an internet session (received an error message too).  But best as I could tell the data kept streaming.  Lock down was enabled.  I do not see any other setting in the GUI version 3.0.3.

Offline j0nr3353

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
Maybe not my place to reply as I'm on the 1 day trial atm (I dare say I will purchase a sub though as I am extremely impressed with what I've seen through my rugged testing!) But doesn't the program notify you of a a drop out with a loud ping? I've purposely killed the connection and it quite clearly lets you know when it has disconnected, unless you've disabled sound notifications, which I wouldn't recommend, also don't you have the auto-reconnect feature on top of the lock down feature, I would assume that by selecting that it would auto-reconnect you back to your choice of server, correct me if I'm wrong? :)

Offline Bob H

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »
Hi,

Well the support help desk says there is no "built in" kill switch.  I must admit I'm disappointed as BolehVPN is listed here https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/5142/5-ways-to-protect-yourself-when-your-vpn-connection-fails/ as one of the VPNs with a kill switch and it's one of the reasons I subscribed.    :'(
As for lockdown being a "superior Kill switch" that's just wrong and leads me to believe this staff member doesn't even know what a kill switch is.

Offline AJaydono

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
Hi there Bob,

The Lockdown acts as a kill switch.

Basically, it routes all traffic through the VPN in case of a leak, so in the event your VPN connection is lost, no traffic will flow. This is NOT a true kill switch by terminology, but can function as one.

I hope this clears any confusions.