Author Topic: Warning to Seagate 7200.11 hard drive owners  (Read 19723 times)

Offline geebox07

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
Re: Warning to Seagate 7200.11 hard drive owners
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »
@ Eugenet: Great news; sigh of releif for you  ;D

@ Chlow6: That's odd; I'm based in Western Europe and was able to get the whole thing done free (including pickup & return by courrier).  I know for a fact that the actual retrievel was done in their labs in the Nederlands as I was able to track its progress every day.  Can't see a reason why you'd be told to send it to US?  What did their serial checker utility tell you to do?

chlow6

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
@ Eugenet: Great news; sigh of releif for you  ;D

@ Chlow6: That's odd; I'm based in Western Europe and was able to get the whole thing done free (including pickup & return by courrier).  I know for a fact that the actual retrievel was done in their labs in the Nederlands as I was able to track its progress every day.  Can't see a reason why you'd be told to send it to US?  What did their serial checker utility tell you to do?

My mistake. I mean it that for Malaysians to retrieve their data, you need to pay for shipment to either Seagate US or Europe for their free data retrieval. For me, i found out that there are only a few ways for you to solve this , that is to either RMA it for free, Send it for data retrieval service in US/ Europe (Self Pay for shipment but retrieval is free) or buy some DIY stuff and repair yourself (Read from a thread somewhere).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:03:58 PM by chlow6 »

Offline geebox07

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »
Seems a bit unfair that they aren't willing to pay for shipping from Malaysia  :-\

Did you lose much data?  For me; it was the photos that were the biggest blow as movies, apps & music can all be downloaded again (albeit with a huge inconvenience overhead!).  Stupid, I know, but I'd got photos from the past five or six years on only on my secondary HD (mostly my GF's photos - she's a keen amateur photographer and would have been gutted to lose the lot). 

I've ordered two new 500GB WD Caviar Black drives which I'm going to set up in RAID 0 array, then use existing 500GB and 250GB as manual redundancy (manually back up the important files onto them).  I was hoping to set up a RAID 10 array but can't really afford a 3rd new HD to make up the 4 HD's I'd need for that  :'(

chlow6

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Seems a bit unfair that they aren't willing to pay for shipping from Malaysia  :-\

Did you lose much data?  For me; it was the photos that were the biggest blow as movies, apps & music can all be downloaded again (albeit with a huge inconvenience overhead!).  Stupid, I know, but I'd got photos from the past five or six years on only on my secondary HD (mostly my GF's photos - she's a keen amateur photographer and would have been gutted to lose the lot). 

I've ordered two new 500GB WD Caviar Black drives which I'm going to set up in RAID 0 array, then use existing 500GB and 250GB as manual redundancy (manually back up the important files onto them).  I was hoping to set up a RAID 10 array but can't really afford a 3rd new HD to make up the 4 HD's I'd need for that  :'(

Few hundred GB from a 500gb drive but most of them are just games, anime & music. Too bad that you lose your pictures, i would have been hit hard if i was in the same place. Raid array is quite good for data redundancy but very expensive.

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
  • I have the right to go apeshit.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
I've ordered two new 500GB WD Caviar Black drives which I'm going to set up in RAID 0 array, then use existing 500GB and 250GB as manual redundancy (manually back up the important files onto them).  I was hoping to set up a RAID 10 array but can't really afford a 3rd new HD to make up the 4 HD's I'd need for that  :'(
Few hundred GB from a 500gb drive but most of them are just games, anime & music. Too bad that you lose your pictures, i would have been hit hard if i was in the same place. Raid array is quite good for data redundancy but very expensive.

Not RAID0, which is what geebox07 is using.
"There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven and hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
1080p x264 test file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSKFM2W5

Offline geebox07

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
I didn't lose anything in the end; got the drive back from Seagate all working and all data intact - Yippee!

dexbot.fallout3 is right; a RAID 0 config alone doesn't offer any redundancy, just speed increase.  That's why I'll manually backup to my old HDD's (when my two new ones arrive - looking at watch and tapping foot impatiently!)

chlow6

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
I didn't lose anything in the end; got the drive back from Seagate all working and all data intact - Yippee!

dexbot.fallout3 is right; a RAID 0 config alone doesn't offer any redundancy, just speed increase.  That's why I'll manually backup to my old HDD's (when my two new ones arrive - looking at watch and tapping foot impatiently!)

I check it out after dexbot.fallout3's comment. Rather expensive to get RAID 10 like u say.

Offline OrenZeN

Микрозайм с плохой кредитной историей
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 12:00:31 AM »
Взять займ очень просто от 1.000 до 3.000.000 рублей
Заполните форму и мы подберем микрозаём
от банков и компаний, готовых выдать Вам деньги
Возраст: От 18 до 70 лет https://intercreditl.ru/offers/potrebitelskij-kredit/

Подбор займа онлайн, кредитов, кредитных карт
Размер: от 1.000 до 4.000.000 руб
Срок: От 7 дней до 5 лет
Время рассмотрения: от 15 минут
Получение денег: В офисах компании, наличными или через платежные системы