Author Topic: Memory and hard disk  (Read 13786 times)

skloven

Memory and hard disk
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:25:07 PM »
Im looking to buy Some quality memory , i currently have 3 gigs of cheap ram, can anyone suggest any good performance ram, i also need to increase my harddrive space but not sure of what brand to get , had a seagate and it packed up after a month with all my data on it, bit weary on that one, need a terrabyte

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
  • I have the right to go apeshit.
Re: Memory and hard disk
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
I suggest you grab them WD 640GB drives. Best bang for the buck, runs cooler and quieter and performance is great. You can find them about RM280 a piece.

As for performance ram, unless you plan on massive overclocking, just get some valueram. Cheaper.
"There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven and hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
1080p x264 test file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSKFM2W5

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
Agreed. Don't buy performance RAM unless you're overclocking.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »
What kind of cheap RAM are you using to get such lousy speeds in the first place? I'm using a couple of Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-800 1GB sticks and Vista is pretty much flying on my system. Call Of Duty? No problem. :D

I suggest you look into maintenance rather than slapping a new part in whenever things get slow. Just because you have a quad, doesn't mean it's gonna run circles around a well-tuned dualie. :)

But if you still insist on getting performance RAM, get those that run at DDR2-1066 and above or those lower-latency models. Be prepared to spend though, as the prices go up exponentially.

FYI Vista (or any 32-bit OS for that matter, iirc) can only address up to 4GB of memory space. This includes other hardware components plus your video card memory. You're also probably running async dual channel with 3GB which *might* explain the sluggishness.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:35:55 AM by dex-in-a-box »
"There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven and hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:39:23 AM »
I doubt RAM is an issue.

Either a Vista or PCI-E issue
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:03:24 AM »
I very much doubt that the fault lies with the RAM as well.

onephatcow

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
not a hardware expert but I'm a loudmouth :) so...I have to ask...do you maintain your system?  Like the usual defrag, run software to see if you've got malware or trojans, etc.?  Those can affect your computer performance too.   Vista is a memory hog, but 3gbs is more than enough, and even to laymen like me, something doesn't sound right about what you're experiencing

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
A low-latency Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12) sells for RM210 for 2GB.

HyperX DDR2-1066 (5-5-5-15) sells for RM275 for 2GB.
HyperX DDR2-1200 (5-5-5-15) sells for RM580 for 2GB.

louislee1991

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
...i havent defragged in over 6 months so that could be the problem[ wil do it 2nite] , still wouldnt mind getting some faster memory though ...for gaming, is there anything available for around 750 rm?

I have never defragted my pc for over a year already and my pc is till running fine except having problem removing ESET

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:13:57 PM »
thanks great, can i use my standard 2 gig with one of them rm580 ones?
You could, but I suppose the timing and the speed will follow the slowest one.

louislee1991

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
does that only come in 2g, id like to get a terrabyte external but i dont know how reliable that would be , maybe a 500 internal and a 500 external would be better, i wanna try get 3gigs ram at least plus storage, i think you pay about 1rm per gig?

Now for a 500 gb Internal WD cost aroung 300++. Quite cheap now. If you want a terabyte and have enought psu power get a pair of 500gb internal, its cheaper than 1 Terabyte because now my pc has 2.160 Terabyte. 4 pieces of WD 500GB and one 160 GB WD. 

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:48:10 PM »
Why would you still want to get a 500GB drive when a 640GB drive has better performance, runs cooler, quieter and more value for money?

<44sen per gig. How's that? Too cheap? You'd rather pay RM1 per gig? :P

@louie my epenis is bigger than yours. 1.4TB bigger than yours. :D

does that only come in 2g, id like to get a terrabyte external but i dont know how reliable that would be , maybe a 500 internal and a 500 external would be better, i wanna try get 3gigs ram at least plus storage, i think you pay about 1rm per gig?
Those HyperX come in pairs. So if it's 2GB, it's actually 2x 1GB sticks.

4GB (2x 2GB) HyperX DDR2-800, 5-5-5-15, RM350.
4GB (2x 2GB) HyperX DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15, RM700.

See how the price goes up exponentially? The performance gains are VERY minimal. :)

Just go take a stroll in lowyat. Look at their pricelists. More options there than I would care to type. :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:13:29 PM by dex-in-a-box »

Offline gashbell

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
  • Hentai Lover
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
I'm also using 3gb of cheap ram, if you noticed that I was bitching in my thread about the low virtual memory problem and my pc performance slowing down? One of the problem is my panda anti-virus that has been eating a lot of my ram. After using the CCleaner advised by furry-boy, performance is back to normal.

I dont know why seagate hdds dont come as your first choice hdd. My last seagate barracuda died after bashing it for almost 9 years, that also because the header block got infected with virus, not because of wear and tear. I'm using 5 seagate hdd now, one of them  is around 5 years old and still running fine ;D.
I wish I had 4 hands and 2 dicks so I could fap twice as much and still have 2 hands free.

onephatcow

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:26 AM »
I second seagate as well...have had nothing but good experiences with them, unlike 50% of my Maxtors...at least the Seagates didn't have sector errors.  uh oh...i might have jinxed myself now >.<

onephatcow

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »
i personally wont buy another seagate as my last extenal seagate packed up a month after i bought it and could not recover thr data and wasted 500rm

No warranty ah?