Author Topic: Status/Announcement box on main pages?  (Read 4308 times)

Offline arjay

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
Status/Announcement box on main pages?
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
First, just to relate my recent experience as a new subscriber. I have been away for a couple of weeks.  When i got home, I found that my Bolehvpn connection would not connect (Linux - KDE setup).  I had not made any changes so was perplexed as to why it would not connect.  I ran a direct run command in a terminal and it just showed a series of attempts to connect that were not successful.  No real clues.  So I went back and re-downloaded my keys and certs etc and the openvpn file and set everything back up again (interesting how we blame ourselves for unexplained problems!).  Set everything back up again and still no joy.  Best part of half a day wasted bearing in mind that a linux setup up is mostly manual..

So off i go to look at the forum but can't see anything immediately obvious.  Much searching and reading later, i find that the port for the fully routed UK connection has been changed from 1001 to 3006.  I made this update and lo and behold, I have a connection but it has taken several hours to correct the problem.

When I first looked at the forum, I couldn't see anything resembling a status update dialogue, or something in bold setting out any key recent changes/news.  A changed port in one openvpn file is not the easiest change to find out about evwen if you knew what you were looking for.

Just wondering if we could not have a more obvious Update/News/Change log for these sorts of things?  Just my 2 cents worth.....

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Status/Announcement box on main pages?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
Hey there,

We understand and apologize for the inconvenience. For this update, I thought it was a minor one and forgot to create a new blog post for this in addition to our social media announcement. In the future, please check our blog as all status updates are posted there. http://www.bolehvpn.net/blog/

If you don't mind Twitter or Facebook, follow us there and you'll get real-time alerts on our status and any new changes.

Offline arjay

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
Re: Status/Announcement box on main pages?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
No worries Chris.  Didn't know about status updates on the blog as opposed to the forum.  I'll check there in the future.

Thanks for the prompt reply