Author Topic: Questions about encrypted email service  (Read 4001 times)

Offline shadowdrifter

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
Questions about encrypted email service
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:09 AM »
I made a request earlier this year for an encrypted anonymous email service, and I was informed by Boleh that not enough users would be interested to justify the cost. I believe that was the reason if I remember correctly. I do understand that any business has to weigh the cost, and benefits of any service to stay in business. I also understand Boleh has other goals for their company in which they would prefer to spend the funds on.  I'm a former customer of Xerobank, and they are the only VPN that I have seen that offers an anonymous encrypted email service. I'm just wondering why that is. What are the cost, and risk inovolved?
1. Could someone give me an ideal of the cost involved in maintaining, and operating such a service? Bandwidth, server, maintenance, personnel, etc..
2. Does operating such a service make a VPN service more of a target by Government agencies?
3. What would be the approximate cost that would be passed on to the client to make make such a service possible?
4. Would it be more economical for a VPN to offer encrypted email as an additional package that can be purchased separately from the VPN?  It may warrant a survey to see just how many users would be willing to pay for encrypted email at an additional cost. Even if it came bundled with Boleh VPN i'm sure it would bring more customers to Boleh. I'm not sure it would be enough to justify the cost, but who knows what the future might bring.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Questions about encrypted email service
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
To clarify, are you seeking anonymous e-mail or encrypted e-mail? They are two different things and often confused. Also another mistaken assumption is that you can have 'encrypted' e-mail without the other person also having the same software. There are a few VPN providers that offer anonymous e-mail for free (even without subscriptions to their VPN).

How many people use PGP for encrypted e-mail? Chances are the people you communicate with, most likely do not have this installed and as such sending them 'encrypted' e-mails is going to be pointless without forcing them to install something extra. PGP although is an awesome (and almost miraculous system) but it has been in the market since 1991 but adoption has been slow.

As for XB, well I don't know, I just generally think they're a shady organization with all the reviews about them about. I know some people have good experiences with them (and even then it's usually with qualifications) and this is just my own personal opinion.

With a VPN it's easier since we don't store any info or documents so it's a lot easier legally. With e-mails that's more tricky and many providers say they host in offshore locations (which although does offer good protection), sometimes the laws there still do not protect when push comes to shove. With VPNs if there is no requirement to log there is no evidence for us to turn over. With e-mail, you NEED to store so then each country's privacy laws and how data is requisitioned has to be examined by legal counsel in the respective countries (which needless to say isn't cheap).
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator