Author Topic: vpnCheck for the mac  (Read 12774 times)

Offline jah

vpnCheck for the mac
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:16:46 AM »
hello, first post here.

looking for a MAC based application like vpnCheck (windows based);  when the VPN channel goes down it will halt a list of applications prevent leaking onto the standard NIC installations.
-these apps are only windows based; vpnCheck, VpnLifequard, OpenVPN Watchdog, VPNNetMon, ForceIPNetBind
VPNetMon  dosnt work on a virutral NIC, maybe only a windows app too

if I switch form uTorrent or Transmission to Vuze/ Azureus will this solve the leak issue?
what settings in Vuze do i need to consider

will anything else work

thanks in advance!!

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: vpnCheck for the mac
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »
If your other programs are capable, try proxying them to use our servers and then connect to the Proxied-All servers. In the event the connection drops, they shouldn't be able to connect to the internet then.

Offline jah

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
thanks Chris,
a little new setting up the proxy thing
in terms of source - protocol - destination, the bolehvpn gui being the source how to i define the hooks so another app say Transmission or Vuze can find it.
the porotcol SOCKS4-5 ?
the destination? how i setup TransMission (preference) or Vuze  any hints to i can google the fine points and get it up running faster better

again tks from a relatively new customer

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »
Socks 5

Address: 10.10.10.1
Port: 1080

Use this in the programs you want.

Offline jah

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »
thaks Chirs but:

using ip = 10.10.10.1 and port = 1080
i get a error prompt in the bhoelvpn log "tcp 10.10.10.1:1080 timed out failed"

is there any setup in the mac 10.7.x System Preferences in the area network ->advanced->proxy necessary?

Offline jah

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 04:05:36 AM »
has anyone used a osx application "vpn manager", its in the apple store.  Looking at some of the setup screens it is asking for the vpn name. for blehvpn what would that be?
the app says it has some ability to start/stop applications using vpn

Offline jah

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:17:06 AM »
my settings in vuze
preferences->connection->proxy options->tracker communications
enable proxying of communication & sock5 proxy asserted
host=10.10.10.1  port=1080
toggle save & restart vuze

my settings in bolehvpn
type=socks  server=10.10.10.1 port=1080
toggle save proxy

from the bolehvpn gui i assert a disconnect and see the vuze download rate go to zero and stay
i try to re connect  the bolehvpn vpn with error, get a vpn log err of:
Fri Aug 31 15:12:09 2012 SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting
Fri Aug 31 15:12:15 2012 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Fri Aug 31 15:12:15 2012 Re-using SSL/TLS context
Fri Aug 31 15:12:15 2012 LZO compression initialized
Fri Aug 31 15:12:15 2012 Attempting to establish TCP connection with 10.10.10.1:1080 [nonblock]
[ERROR]Connect to server timeout
Fri Aug 31 15:12:25 2012 TCP: connect to 10.10.10.1:1080 failed, will try again in 5 seconds: Operation timed out
Fri Aug 31 15:12:25 2012 SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting
Fri Aug 31 15:12:30 2012 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts

Fri Aug 31 15:12:30 2012 Re-using SSL/TLS context
Fri Aug 31 15:12:30 2012 LZO compression initialized
Fri Aug 31 15:12:30 2012 Attempting to establish TCP connection with 10.10.10.1:1080 [nonblock]

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
Don't put that in BolehVPN-Gui. That is for your uTorrent / Vuze.

If you want to have all your programs go through our servers, use the FullyRouted servers. I need to double check to confirm but the Mac GUI should have an IP bind feature built in, where if you lose the connection to the fullyrouted servers unexpectedly, your traffic is frozen until you reconnect.

Offline jah

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:45:05 AM »
NO
while the bolehvpn guy was running i did a trace rout and verified it was connected.  I disconnected the bolehvpn and re verified the interface defaulted to the local internet provider. 

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:12 AM »
It only kicks in if OpenVPN reports your connection was lost to the server. If you manually issue a disconnect command, it doesn't kick in.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
Jah you may want to consider this:

How do I force my torrents on Vuze to download/upload through the VPN?

To do this, you will need to make use of the Bind IP function which is both available on the Windows and the Mac.

First of all, you will need to enable the Advanced settings. To do this, navigate to Tools > Options > Mode and check Advanced.

After you have enabled it, go to Connection > Advanced Connection Settings

Finally, you will just need to enter the interface name of the TAP adaptor under Bind to local IP address or interface. Just enter the value of the TAP adaptor which can be referenced from the list of available interfaces listed in the same window. For Windows, it's usually begins with eth. As for the Mac, tun.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline jah

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
It only kicks in if OpenVPN reports your connection was lost to the server. If you manually issue a disconnect command, it doesn't kick in.
sounds kinda faith based, I have to think of a way to test it?  this could be built into the next GUI?  dosnt have to be fancy, rather have it completely shut down rather than leak even a little bit.

I tried Vuze and it was using more system resources than the current virtual machine could offer.

all this in a MAC only environment.  Lots of options for windows.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
It is not simple to force a bind, if we were to do so it would be almost akin to implementing a firewall system into the app which I think is unnecessary since there are free options and more specialized options out there. We did initially want to have the secure ip bind feature in place but when we realized the amount of complexity this would involve, we decided to stick with the OpenVPN solution. The app is not able to detect a disconnection unless OpenVPN reports it. Changing it would require OpenVPN changing the way it works.

We also looked at the competitors out there and even HMA has problems getting their Secure IP bind feature working reliably and consistently.

I understand the reasons in wanting this and can totally relate, but I think as long as there are firewall solutions out there, to integrate a whole new app for secure IP bind is difficult. Our inbuilt feature still works in that if OpenVPN detects it it will shut down without auto reconnecting but for a fool proof solution we either recommend the proxied option or using a firewall to control this.

*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline jah

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
appreciate your consideration on the issue.  I hope as the leak issue becomes more known in the MAC development community a proper solution will surface.

i started to look at the firewall options, looks like LittleSnitch would be the easiest to implement since it already has a nice gui tieing current running applications to internet services

if anyone wants to try this:
with the bolehvpn gui and utorrent applications (vuz seems to take a little too much cpu resources) the proxy scheme works more than not.  Main bad is once it shuts down it is not obvious to restart.  I have not tested it at all yet.  My settings for the proxy are:
bolehvpn gui:
proxy type = socks
server =10.10.10.1
port = 1080
uTorrent->preferences->Network
proxy server = socks5
address = 10.10.10.1
port = 1080
use proxy for p2p connection = asserted

again thanks.