Author Topic: With BolehVPN are public trackers still dangerous?  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Jax

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
With BolehVPN are public trackers still dangerous?
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:25 AM »
Being a total Noob at torrents I read the sticky pinned "*READ THIS!* Obligatory HBO Warning For Noobs".
So, my question is what makes it dangerous if BolehRoute  protects one's identity from the rest of the Internet? Does public trackers like The Pirate Bay somehow get around the privacy safeguards of VPN?

Thanks!!

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: With BolehVPN are public trackers still dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
I believe that's pretty out of date, 4 years old? Anyway, the risk of using public trackers is that they are common targets for poisoned torrents. And should your VPN connection drop and you don't have your torrent client properly configured, you stand a slight risk of exposing your identity. This shouldn't be a problem with the Proxied servers and uTorrent configured properly, or with the FullyRouted servers and Comodo firewall setup.

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
I use a few public trackers without any problems, just play it safe like Chris said...

Honestly Usenet is the way to go, so much safer, in fact I hardly think there's any risk on it, since it's not where all the law enforcement/governments look and target...

Usenet all the way! ;)

Offline Jax

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

Slacker, any recommendations for a anonymous usenet service? Problem is that I go to the trouble of finding a quality VPN service (BolehVPN) , then reveal my Id to pay for Usenet.

Which brings to mind a suggestion/request for BolehVPN. How about Boleh providing Usenet access/servers themselves? I'd certainly pay more such a service as long as it was structured like the BolehVPN service is-- i.e. no logs, anonymity, VPN tunnel, ect..

Cheers!

Jax