Author Topic: BolehVPN for an MMO?  (Read 5763 times)

xLegato

BolehVPN for an MMO?
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »
Hi, I'm yet another user of Streamyx and their service is really getting frustrating.

I've read about BolehVPN around and heard about it being mentioned on lowyat.net, so I came by to check. Now, I'm really someone who has very little knowledge in networking and such, so I may sometimes ask questions that are actually redundant.
I gathered whatever information I could by reading up on the pages of BolehVPN, and I'm thankful for a forum like this where I can ask more specific questions. :D

Anyway..

I'm currently a subscriber of the 1mbps package.
I know of the current connectivity issues, so I'm aware that we're all having trouble connecting to foreign websites and such.

However, I don't exactly have top notch connectivity even when the ISP is alright. And since I play an MMO (obsessively), latency is very much of an issue to me. I'm always concerned about lag and such.

I haven't been able to do a lot of things on certain days (like train/level, or compete in a PvP environment with others) properly, and it's frustrating. The game I play is Flyff (flyff.gpotato.com), and their servers are located in the US.
Now, I get lots of lag spikes usually. It's like..things just pause suddenly, then everything fastforwards after x amount of time. Either that, or when I target someone and execute a skill, my character stands in front and pauses before doing it.
Such is very crucial in gameplay, esp. in certain situations.

I've watched vid recordings of other foreign players, and theirs is instantaneous - their character doesn't stand there and pause.

Now after all the rambling.. I have a few things I thought up of in mind.

One is to switch ISPs. But in Malaysia, I'd think all the other ISPs are hardly better? I went to Jaring's page, and they seem to be quite a viable choice, but I don't know.
Two is to upgrade my package; from 1mbps to 2 or 4. Will that help in my gaming? Oh, I share the connection with my dad and brother, but they don't do anything else except browse webpages or stream videos ocassionally. None of us use torrents or p2p stuff.
Three is to use BolehVPN, though I don't really have much of an idea what it even is. I'd just like to know; in all honesty, does BolehVPN help in reducing latency for online gaming? Will using it help or will it not do anything?

Thanks for any replies.

kitsuna

Re: BolehVPN for an MMO?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:28:39 AM »
bolehvpn do not reduce latency for online gaming
it only help to unthrottle the limitation set by streamyx on p2p, and able to surf on US only sites

as for jaring bb, im not sure of their capabilities
but their dial-up for sure are better than streamyx when surfing lulz