Author Topic: Synology NAS  (Read 19117 times)

kenlau

Synology NAS
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »
I just subscribe to Streamyx 4MB package, and the first thing I notice is that the torrent speed was worse that when I was on the 1MB package. Moreover, it also appears that Rapidshare/Megaupload/Hotfile downloads are throttled as well now, but not when I was on the 1MB package. Running speed tests do indeed show that the speed is 4MB, and browsing speed improved substantially. Nonetheless, it pisses me off no end, and after a couple days of searching the web, here I am.

My primary purpose is to download torrents using my Synology DS407e NAS, which is on 24/7. I assume that if the NAS supports openVPN, I can use bolehvpn? I will try to see if I can install/activate openVPN on my NAS tonight, and if all goes well, I will start my trial.

However, my other concern is accessing the NAS remotely using dynamic DNS, since I do check on the status or add downloads when I am not in the country. Is this still possible when I use bolenvpn?

Also, can bolehvpn be used from Singapore using a Starhub 3G account? Starhubs, and to a lesser extent, Singtel uses a pool of IPs addresses, and trying to download from sites like Rapidshare, users will frequently come across instances where the IP is already downloading, or has just downloaded a file, forcing the user to wait. Its an extremely frustrating exercise and will test anyone's sanity.

Finally, I have another Synology NAS connected in Singapore to a Starhub 3G account, and due to the protocol they use (RFC-1918 range of IPs) I am not able to connect remotely using dynamic dns. So say if I have two or more accounts with bolehvpn, can I, for example, use one in Malaysia to connect to the other in Singapore?

Here's hoping bolenvpn is the answer to all my problems.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:07:18 PM by kenlau »

Offline craftmen25

• BolehVPN Subscriber
Re: Synology NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
Interesting! I struggle but manage successfully  accessing the Synology NAS DS210J remotely.Have to do  setting on the router's WAN and port setting.
but still trying to -ftp download from seed-box to NAS. It will also be nice to learn from you if you can install vpn on your NAS.

kenlau

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Unfortunately, installing mods on Synology NAS differs model from model, since you have to install bootstrap first, which is dependent on the cpu architecture, i.e., ARM, PowerPC etc. I just got Bootstrap installed, and are now proceeding the OpenVPN. I just hope I don't f@#k it up as this is my backup machine with 4 x 2TB drives running in RAID 5 configuration. Rebuilding the RAID takes bloody forever.

Offline PitBoss

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
I don't have Synology with me, but I believe it is built on linux and if you can ssh, then you install openvpn and use bolehvpn.
As for the speed, streamyx is one weird dude, so if everything is ok, then your speed will be fast else start complaining to them.
If you can install openvpn, then you just need to get rtorrent into the box as your torrent client or use the one that comes with it.

I'm not sure how many of the subscribers are using synology, you can get the experienced of configuring from them. Logically, if you can DDNS, then you can access it from the internet and then you add/remove/stop the torrents. You can do this with VPN connected, the p2p client only proxied to bolehVPN. From this point, you can get the advise of those using Linux as a client.

This url should get you up and running to install openvpn but since its in Chinese, way out of my league to translate it.
http://blog.xuite.net/csiewap/cc/21431057

How much is this box? Maybe I should get one and test it out or get a loan unit....anyone?

Co-Founder / Administrator

kenlau

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:51:56 PM »
I have a QNap NAS, a D-Link 323, and two  Synologies. Synology is probably the most expensive, but in terms of ease of use and reliability, it wins hands down. As torrent client, again it is better than either QNap and D-Link, as it has encrpytion protocol which the other two manufacturers do not. In the past the encryption protocol was able to circumvent most throttling attempts by ISPs, but unfortunately it is no longer true, hence bolehvpn. Having a NAS on 24/7 takes up with little power and generate very little heat, and you can even schedule it to downloads during off-peak periods.

First, I am going to try to setup this up on my own, and if I fail, I lend you my DS-207 so you can have a go.

kenlau

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
Well, I went ahead and took a 30-days trial of bolehVPN, and must say, with a bit of patience, the speed of my torrents on my Windows 7 x64 machine running uTorrent is certainly very good. Not as good as reported by other users, but certainly faster than I ever seen in Malaysia. I must say thought, the speed which Reuben processed the keys was quite astounding. I paid 8pm on a Saturday, and received the keys around 10pm. Reuben, you need a life mate.

However, I still have yet to run openVPN successfully on my Synology CS407e, which is my ultimate objective. My desktop gobbles power like there is no tomorrow, i.e., in a Lian Li A10 casing with dual PSU, one 750 and one 800 Watts. Its serves as a heater when my air conditioning gets too cold. I will keep trying this week, and if I can get it to work, I be a regular customer. However, I am a complete Linux noob, and to make it worse, Synology does not run standard Linux.

So if I cannot get it to work and Pit Boss is serious, I get my DS 207 back from Singapore and loan it to you. Alternative, I have another D-Link DNS-323 and Thecus N0204 MiniNas which is available immediately to anybody to try their Linux skills, since both runs some variant of Linux.

nazrix

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:11:53 AM »
Synology has a VPN Server package that allows the NAS to act as a server. However, the VPN can be setup as a client.

Taken from http://ghughes.com/blog/2011/11/06/putting-a-synology-diskstation-to-good-use/

Installing OpenVPN as a client on Synology NAS
======================================
Go to http://www.synology.com/support/download.php?lang=enu and download the VPN Server package, but don’t activate it yet.

Grab your OpenVPN config files (ask Rubern if you don't know what these are). Copy the two .crt files, a .key file, plus the .conf configuration file (change the extension of the *.ovpn file you want to use to *.conf) into a shared folder. (for example "Downloads" shared folder on volume1.
Telnet into the NAS (turn that on by logging onto the web interface, opening the control panel, selecting terminal and checking "Enable Telnet service", and also ensuring the NAS firewall doesn't block it).

To Telnet:
1. Open a command prompt, type "telnet nasip", (nasip) is the ip of your NAS.
2. Enter "root" as your username and the password for your admin account.
3. type cd /usr/Downloads/ (assuming the files are in the first volume and the shared folder name is "Downloads".
4. type "mv openvpm.conf openvpn.conf.user" and press enter
4. type "cp ca.crt /usr/syno/etc/synovpn/openvpn/ca.crt" and press enter
5. repeat step 4 for the other 3 files. (username.crt, username.key, openvpn.conf)
6. type "exit" and press enter.

Now activate VPN Server in Package Center. These configuration changes effectively transform the VPN ‘server’ into a client; now, while this package is active, an OpenVPN daemon will be kept alive in the background and all outgoing connections from the NAS will be routed through the VPN. Now, any Transmission and SABnzbd traffic coming from your NAS is SSL encrypted and protected against traffic shaping.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the update nazrix :D
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline joechong

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
Nazrix,
Was trying out your steps. Since there are so many configuration files provided by BolehVPN, how do you specify to the Synology VPN Server to pick one to use, such as Proxied-All.conf? Do i need to rename the Proxied-All.conf to openvpn.conf in order to make it work?

I dumped all the config files provided into the directory you mentioned, and changed the original openvpn.conf to openvpn.conf.synology.original. However, when I try to go into the VPN package to activate it, an error message was thrown out saying that the "Operation has failed. Try logging in DSM again".