Author Topic: NAS and VPN info needed  (Read 8181 times)

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
NAS and VPN info needed
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
I m going to use VPN service next month. My current machine consuming lots of electric power for heavy P2P usage. I m looking for better solutions.
Does any1 ever use NAS(network access storage) with VPN? I m looking forward to buy 1 if it can be used with VPN. else, I considering Atom machine.
Any1 has better suggestion? thanks  ;D

kenkan73

Re: NAS and VPN info needed
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »
If you are referring to the NAS which is running by OS then off course it will work. If you are referring to only Hard disk NAS then it won't work as it just work as a file server on storage and need PC interaction.

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »
I m looking for low power consumption solution for p2p with vpn.. which 1 is better? Atom platform as P2P machine or Hard disk NAS to P2P? Does those HD NAS able to use with VPN? did any1 ever tried it? thanks.

kenkan73

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
Atom platform is cheaper and lower consumption with all in one motherboard.

Hard disk NAS which is hard disk with network enclosure will not work. NAS with Operating system will work but expensive.

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
thnx for the advice, I'll choose the atom platform as my new torrent machine... 24 x 365 p2p.. ;D lol

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »
I think the power savings from an Atom cpu is vastly overrated especially when the mobo is eating a lot of the power anyway.

I prefer a Dell Poweredge server which is extremely quiet and an actual server that has some real processing power behind it. Pretty cheap too. 2k ish
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
come on... the price 1 Dell Poweredge server = 2 atom machine already.
I dont think that there is such a fool in this world who buy the actual server just for his/her p2p purpose only. lol  :D

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
Haha then i'm a fool :P For 2 k you get a dual core Xeon at 3 ghz with 2 gigs of RAM.

I use it to p2p but also as a central storage hub for all my data with 4 tb of hdds worth inside.

Also note that a lot of p2p stuff needs to be unrared so doing that on an Atom is painfully slow.

I also run things from game servers and other stuff inside so it makes more sense I guess.

*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
That being said I doubt the electricity saving from keeping your rig on will make up the cost of the Atom setup....unless you're running some sli configuration

Co-Founder/Administrator

louislee1991

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »
reubs, do tell me about ur server. very very interested. can u like stream shows and share movies with ur friends and stuff?

webmachine23

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:03 AM »
yes yes...pls do a short movie on your rig....im very interested!!! pls pls !!!  ;D

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
  • I have the right to go apeshit.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »
An Atom PC will work just nicely for basic p2p. Hell, I'm using an ancient P4 1.6GHz as my download rig.
"There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven and hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
1080p x264 test file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSKFM2W5

nazrix

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
I'm running a Dell Poweredge too, the ancient SC1420, with dual xeon 3.0Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 2x 1TB SATA, 2x 80GB SCSI which I got for free. However, I dont think it's quiet, in fact, it's pretty damn loud and running quite hot (CPU between 58-68 degrees). But it's running in a room with no aircon or fan so I guess that's the cause. I would advise against getting a server unless u've got some place cool to keep it.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
dual xeon or dual core xeon? :P

Strange that yours is so loud...mine is in no aircon or fan even.

Co-Founder/Administrator