Author Topic: Does Boleh vpn take logs?  (Read 5268 times)

D43B35

Does Boleh vpn take logs?
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
Hi

I just want to know what your policy on peer to peer traffic is?

Does Boleh vpn maintain logs of what your users do and would Boleh vpn ever hand this information to a third party such as the RIAA or other parties who investigate ip logs from torrent connections.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Does Boleh vpn take logs?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
BolehVPN does not maintain any logs beyond the usual system logs required to run our servers. We do not monitor any traffic of our customers nor will we willingly share customer details. We may from time to time turn on the logs temporarily if we are attempting to troubleshoot a performance issue or locate a user abusing our service (see prohibited activities above).

Our servers  for P2P are also not located in the US.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

D43B35

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:03 AM »
You said earlier that you do not maintain logs of what your users use with the vpn service.

What if a third party wanted to sue your users (tracked via your vpn's ip address) for copyright infringement? Would you hand over any logs that would incriminate your users in legal court?   

Also you said that the USA server is not for peer to peer connections. By that logic is if safe to assume that the Luxembourg and Canadian servers are safer for peer to peer connections?   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:39:16 AM by D43B35 »

D43B35

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »
Im guessing that boleh vpn is pro peer to peer download on account of this thread being in the forum see http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php/topic,1297.0.html

Am i right?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »
Yes, we openly advertise as being for torrenting. And no, we don't keep logs of which user connected to which server so even if they logged one of our server's IPs, no way of knowing which of our users it was.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
D43B35: If authorities require us to hand over, we do not have anything to hand over. Simple as that :D
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
Hi Reuben, you might want to check into this unless you have done so already for the server locations that BolehVPN uses.

In many countries, even though you don't log, a government agency of the law could require you to log so they can monitor the traffic and they will also tell you that you are not allowed to inform your customers that you are logging because of a legal investigation they are performing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:34:13 PM by Slacker »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Could you quote me the legal provisions for this?
For countries that we know require this sort of crap, we don't allow P2P on them.

As for legal investigation, if it's about terrorist activities and such, I would believe that but for potential copyright infringement I think those do not fall under the acceptable exceptions under some of the laws I have seen. The European Data Retention Directive in any case only allows such logs to be used for detection and prosecution of SERIOUS CRIMES as defined in the respective member states' laws. We're looking into having a server in Germany.

Co-Founder/Administrator