Author Topic: Western Digital WDTV Live Vs Seagate Freeagent Theatre+Player  (Read 22460 times)

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Western Digital WDTV Live Vs Seagate Freeagent Theatre+Player
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 02:55:04 PM »
It supports MKV fine. MKV introduced a new compressed header format which required a firmware update from WD to fix though.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

cheeyoon82

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
wao ... thanks for the information.
cos the spec there dint write mkv

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
It supports MKV fine. MKV introduced a new compressed header format which required a firmware update from WD to fix though.

Or just download MKVToolnix 4.4.0 (this version turns off header compression by default) and remux the offending mkv file. The process takes only a minute or so for a 4.4GB mkv file. Easy-peasy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:03:32 PM by The Schade »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
It's in the specs:

File Formats Supported   
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9 
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »
Use PC if u know how to operate window software... it will play all the video formats. Those media players are not really worth to invest.  they might hang/reboot if encounter unknown format. The media player maker seldom fix it unless there are lots of users demand it to be fixed. Some brands of
media player has limitations of hi quality movie playback and overheat issues. I spent tons of $$$ messing with media players(WDTV, Tvix, HDX, DuneHD) and I felt regret.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:38:02 PM by yhsiau »

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »
I spent tons of $$$ messing with media players(WDTV, Tvix, HDX, DuneHD) and I felt regret.  :'(

Too bad for you, but I've never encountered any problems with my wdtv live except for some mkv files that were encoded with header compression (easily countered with a simple remux, or firmware update). 1080p files are always smooth as silk during playback as well. To each his own, I guess.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
The firmware update for the WDTV was painless.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »
I spent tons of $$$ messing with media players(WDTV, Tvix, HDX, DuneHD) and I felt regret.  :'(

Too bad for you, but I've never encountered any problems with my wdtv live except for some mkv files that were encoded with header compression (easily countered with a simple remux, or firmware update). 1080p files are always smooth as silk during playback as well. To each his own, I guess.

you can laugh @ me if u like... :P I m using DuneHD Base 3.0 now and it has less issues with all the movies (bluray ISO) I grabbed from internet.
BTW, wdtv product is not good for those movies which has hi bit-rates.

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
BTW, wdtv product is not good for those movies which has hi bit-rates.

If you say so, then it must be true. I guess I'm just prone to hallucinations and self-delusions. Whatever. WD doesn't pay me anything to defend their products so I'll just let people take your word for it.

dragonball

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »
I'm seriously considering buying a media player and I'm now very confuse on the players around. I've search all round the web and found people talking about WD & Seagate Freeagent but not Kworld M200 which "should" play everything under the sun and is very cheap. So any ideas on Kworld? I've also check out A.C Ryan and it seems to be better than WD in terms of compatibility and the price is almost the same.

I need to know where can I find review for Kworld M200 since viewnet is selling for only RM239 and u can even swipe card... har har..? Thanks a zillion!!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:46:37 PM by dragonball »

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
For pure MKV viewing, pick WDTV la... v.affordable and good aftersales service(firmware updates).

dragonball

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
hm. But WD live can't watch RMVB rite and it's price at RM329 wheres Kworld M200 can watch RMVB & MKV at RM239.

I know that WD is more popular due to it's namesake but is there any other difference? bcuz the latter is "suppose" to be able to play almost any format.

Sorry need to buy at least 4 units so can't make a mistake here.

Thanks for your time...

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
what types of videos do u download the most? MKV? RMVB? ISO?. This could help determine which type of media player to buy.
The most important thing is after-sale support. U can dump the media player to trash can once they stop writing the new firmware.

Sian... the speed cap has RETURNED!!!

dragonball

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »
Chinese series - RMVB but blockbuster normally MKV & M2Ts.

*I'm a bit lucky, I'm not affected by cap. even during daytime.

So anyone heard of Kworld? it's cheap, anything to look for other than all the video support? seems more like a marketing "gimmick".

tq

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:33 AM »
this player should do well in 720p video content.  :) if u want to pursuit high quality video content(such as: 1080p, DTS MA/THD 7.1, gigabit network streaming and etc)... this player might not suitable for u.