Author Topic: Low download speed?  (Read 8443 times)

alex12

Low download speed?
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:55:19 PM »
Hey!

Im just wondering if im the only one getting low downloadspeed when downloading torrents while fully routed?

without boleh i get up to 8.4MB/S but with boleh i get a max speed of 1MB/S...

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Low download speed?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
Which server is this? Where is your location? Could you give us the logs from the BolehVPN client? Test this torrent as well http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.10/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

alex12

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:26:24 PM »
Server:
FullyRouted-Sweeden. IP: 188.126.92.66

my Location: Norway

when i tested the Torrent you linked i peaked at 950KB/S...

Offline Indingo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:07 AM »
I think Sweden is just a slow server, I only ever get around 3mbps out of it lately.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
Try the other servers. We have a new France server, hit Update configurations then connect to FullyRouted-France.

alex12

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
thanks for the replies guys, guess it was just the swedish server that was crap, got good download speed from the lux server now :)

just a quick question, as long as i am connected to a fully routed server i am safe right?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »
Yup. If you need additional security, I suggest a firewall solution.

We have guides for this. Windows firewall and Comodo

http://bolehvpn.net/blocking-non-vpn-traffic.php
http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?topic=6621.0

Offline Indingo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:40 AM »
thanks for the replies guys, guess it was just the swedish server that was crap, got good download speed from the lux server now :)

just a quick question, as long as i am connected to a fully routed server i am safe right?

I do kind of wish BolehVPN held themselves to a higher standard and only purchased fast 1GB port servers, having a slow server in a bunch of good servers is kinda dumb. Why is it even there? I would also love if we could get updates on the news section about new servers popping up and old ones being discontinued along with the 1GB/100MB etc port speeds.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
We have to consider speed, load, location, price and demand when purchasing a new server. Additionally the Sweden server has been around for some time.

Of course if load on a particular server gets too high we will purchase a new one and spread the load out so our servers aren't running at 100% constantly.

As for new servers, we'll usually post them on our blog. Facebook and Twitter as well some times.

Offline Indingo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:25 AM »
I understand, but any user that is close to the region should be able to get enough speed out of the server to stream 1080p YouTube and Source Twitch.TV streams. This is my own standard, as those are base needs for many people and a good constant to base performance around, any server people can connect to under 75ms ping should perform perfectly under 1080p YouTube and Source Twitch.TV. Performing perfectly and stable under these two websites on these settings are a good standard for performance of the servers you use, as performing well on these two tasks mean that any other standard internet application Skype/Gaming for example will work perfectly. I for example from the UK, cannot do either of the two above on the Sweden Server, granted I'm not the closest, but get a 40ms ping from the server, so there is no reason it should be as slow as it is. If your servers can't perform to a standard of 1080p YouTube and Source Twitch.TV why even bother having them? Its just a waste of money from a consumer standpoint, and in my opinion from a professional standpoint also. Why have it even if Swedish customers get better performance from Netherlands/Luxembourg servers, it seems like kind of an oxymoron, better to save your money on that server and put it to other R&D or faster servers for other countries.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:35:02 AM by Indingo »