Author Topic: DNS LEAK QUESTION HELP  (Read 8708 times)

Offline mrblurayman

DNS LEAK QUESTION HELP
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »
Hi silly old me again I am trying to understand about DNS LEAK when I run test the server shows up as France,Amsterdam but also shows my own ISP NUMBER should I be worry about this ? does mean my own ISP can still see what I am doing while connect with VPN ? if yes I did not about DNS LEAKS before and the only reason I have just found about this I have seen a few VPN web sites talk about it. I have looked at DNS LEAK site but really don't fully understand it and need help understand it as I a newbie at this like everyone else lol  :PN NO OFFENCE to anyone here sorry.If I use the VPN servicer here how can I make sure I don't get DNS leaks ? and be safe etc.I am glad u offer remote access as I be lost and this so far trial is ok but I am have few issues which some will be doing there best to help me this what I call good customer service.Thank you

p.s please for my English and spelling.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: DNS LEAK QUESTION HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
If you are worried about DNS Leaks:

Go to the Settings tab of the BolehVPN client and enable DNS Leak Protection.

You can also prevent DNS Leaks by manually configuring DNS settings in all your network adapters. Google has a easy guide to doing so here  https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:49:12 AM »
This is a good site to test for DNS leaks;

https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

Click below on the Initiate Standard DNS Spoofability Test

It's going to test for every DNS it can query, and if it finds them it will report them.

It's not a DNS leak test, it's for testing DNS Spoofability, but it queries everything it can find, so it makes probably the best online DNS test around... ;)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:52:44 AM by Slacker »

Offline laurel38

• Boatswain
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »
I too have a concern about DNS leak.  In my Boleh settings, I have DNS leak protection checked.  I ran a DNS leak test (https://dnsleaktest.com) while connected to the Boleh VPN and the result was that I was connected two dozen Google DNS servers in Belgium.  That's a leak, isn't it?

How can this be solved without having to manually configure my DNS settings in my network adapter?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:38:57 PM by laurel38 »

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
Which server was this? Could I get the logs from the BolehVPN client?

You could also try enabling the Lockdown feature in the Settings tab of the BolehVPN client.

Offline KeyserSoze

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:08:19 AM »
Which server was this? Could I get the logs from the BolehVPN client?

You could also try enabling the Lockdown feature in the Settings tab of the BolehVPN client.

Chris,
Can you explain in more detail exactly what "Enable Lock Down" actually does, is it the feature I am looking for below?

I was interested it bolehvpn has this feature
VPN clients with an ‘internet kill switch’
Perhaps the simplest way to ensure that no programs access the internet except over VPN, is to use am ‘internet kill switch’ built into your providers VPN client. Choosing this setting in the client’s Settings dialogue will prevent all traffic in and out of the computer in the event of a VPN fail.

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated,
KeyserSoze

Offline j0nr3353

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
The "Lock Down" feature from my understanding, acts like a kill switch, it will instantly kill your internet connection in the event the VPN connection fails
As far as DNS leaks go, sometimes you have to wait a few seconds for the VPN client to fully connect to a server before you test, there is a latency period, so just hit refresh a few times and wait for it to kick in, or if that fails, either delete your browser cache or close your browser and try and again, it should work :)

Offline j0nr3353

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
Oh and I find https://ipleak.net/ to be pretty good at detecting DNS leaks, checking your IP addy and many other things such as checking your torrents and geo-location etc. Oh and mods if this is considered spam feel free to remove but I thought I'd add an option, I am no means affiliated with them just like using them for testing and making sure things run smoothly! :)