Author Topic: Heads Up On (Browser Choice update? (KB976002)  (Read 6218 times)

Offline maxbudin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
Heads Up On (Browser Choice update? (KB976002)
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
I just got this update waiting to be installed.  Googled and found MS stating  "Who will get the Browser choice update" = If you're using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, and you have your regional settings set to one of the following countries or regions, you’ll get the Browser Choice update through the Windows Update service:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Seems this was a court thingie between MS and the EU and the agreement applies to above listed countries.
I'm on Win7 original os, donno why this update is offered to me PC.  On top of that it seems it cant be removed other than going to the registry. 

So guys, if you've got this update issued to you and dont mind what you dont need, let it into your PC. Otherwise turn off yer updates till MS or someone sorts this out. Sure is alot of upset people out there right now.  For whatever reason, MS did not make it optional but a high priority update. ..... Go figure.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Heads Up On (Browser Choice update? (KB976002)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
Wasn't this due to the EU claiming Microsoft had a monopoly on web browsers, since windows only came with IE and had no other browsers installed? I think Microsoft lost the case, hence this update, it's probably just going to install Chrome and Firefox as well for you. What does it do other than install other browsers, which has gotten people riled up? Or are they just moaning that Microsoft demands they install alternative browsers?

Offline maxbudin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
Re: Heads Up On (Browser Choice update? (KB976002)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:17 AM »
Yes you're right there Chris ... spot on, all this started sometime earlier this year.  I think in complying, MS decided to ... errmm how you say, over play things and designed its adherence to the court ruling in the way that'll bug tons of users.  They could have offered it as an "optional" upgrade to users rather than ram it in as "high priority".

Which leads me to wonder .. WHY in the world was it offered to me when I'm not in the EU but in M'sia.  I'm trying to avoid this upgrade, google unearthed so many method/ploys people have taken to avert this.  Donno which are actually successful/workable.

Anyway, I was just checking to see if anyone here got stuck with this update and perchance found a way to circumvent it.