Author Topic: anyone using bolehvpn for usenet?  (Read 14490 times)

kepco

anyone using bolehvpn for usenet?
« on: May 18, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »
hi, as i mostly like to get 720p materials, do anyone using usenet to get this materials or solely using torrent?

I find out piratebay and mininova doesn't really have complete 720p materials if compared with usenet.

kitsuna

Re: anyone using bolehvpn for usenet?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »
unless you want to pay more for usenet  :-X

kepco

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
the reasons I ask this is due to torrent is pretty much depend on the seed/leech ratio, so, unless some big file size materials is super hot, I'm not utilizing the newly acquire 4 mbps line. That even doesn't consider the 512 kbps upload speed if want to maintain a good ratio.

both torrent and usenet have their own pros and cons, I'm asking question simply want to know is it have more "methods" to squeeze more juice out from what I pay. (in this case, I'm referring to vpn and the broadband I subscribed to)

kitsuna

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »
im not sure how usenet works
if the files are stored on the server, most likely you will max out your 4mb
but if usenet are p2p based but using server as peer relay (eg :edonkey,emule), the speed depends on the seeder itself like torrent

freeman85

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »
some usenet server already using ssl connection but
you need to pay extra charge
refer to usenet package

kepco

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:21:46 AM »
after some tweaks on the usenet settings, I'm getting 650 kB/s for the past 10hrs. Well, one of the the things is disable SSL.

I'm a happy man now... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

if the speed continue like this, I'll upgrade my package to 3 months and buy new HDD... ;)

majordomo

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
after some tweaks on the usenet settings, I'm getting 650 kB/s for the past 10hrs. Well, one of the the things is disable SSL.

I'm a happy man now... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

if the speed continue like this, I'll upgrade my package to 3 months and buy new HDD... ;)

Really?  I like to utilise Usenet as well.  What settings did you tweak?  It certainly sounds promising.  I'm using a Mac (Unison) btw... I usually just use SSL but using Boleh would be cool if you could spill the beans on how to do it. :-)

kepco

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »
well, need to disable SSL, and key in proxy server (same like what need to keyed in firefox) in the usenet client.

The speed can't sustain at 660 kB/s 24 hrs, however if I average out, I'm able to getting ~550 kB/s averagely no matter what files except over 80 days retention. I suspect this might due to the usenet service provider rather than Boleh VPN.

And I'm now a 90 days subscriber for Boleh VPN, this is first time in my downloading life (for past 5 years ) that I don't need to run my computer 24x7... ;D

majordomo

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »
Hmmm I'm confused.  If you key in the same settings as firefox, doesn't that mean that you are downloading from Boleh rather than your usenet server?  I thought the files that you wanted were stored on the usenet server - isn't this what you pay for when you pay for usenet access? 

If this does work like you say I will be very impressed!

Cheers
S.

onephatcow

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
well, need to disable SSL, and key in proxy server (same like what need to keyed in firefox) in the usenet client.

The speed can't sustain at 660 kB/s 24 hrs, however if I average out, I'm able to getting ~550 kB/s averagely no matter what files except over 80 days retention. I suspect this might due to the usenet service provider rather than Boleh VPN.

And I'm now a 90 days subscriber for Boleh VPN, this is first time in my downloading life (for past 5 years ) that I don't need to run my computer 24x7... ;D

which usenet service are you using?  I have had really good results with Giganews

kepco

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
Hmmm I'm confused.  If you key in the same settings as firefox, doesn't that mean that you are downloading from Boleh rather than your usenet server?  I thought the files that you wanted were stored on the usenet server - isn't this what you pay for when you pay for usenet access? 

If this does work like you say I will be very impressed!

Cheers
S.

that why I'm using Boleh, the route should simplified like this, Usenet server --> Boleh VPN (streamyx)--> my computer

actually I don't know what to key in since there is no guide for usenet client, so I try and error and the first time I keyed in Firefox setting, I get the dl speed straight, so I guess I'm lucky. I know I've to use VPN due to when I toggle off the proxy in my usenet client, I'm only getting 10kB/s dl.

kepco

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:07 PM »

which usenet service are you using?  I have had really good results with Giganews

I'm using UNS. I tried Giganews, but with penangfon, I can't max out the line due to their global shaping policy, so I opt for cheaper one. ;)

majordomo

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

that why I'm using Boleh, the route should simplified like this, Usenet server --> Boleh VPN (streamyx)--> my computer

actually I don't know what to key in since there is no guide for usenet client, so I try and error and the first time I keyed in Firefox setting, I get the dl speed straight, so I guess I'm lucky. I know I've to use VPN due to when I toggle off the proxy in my usenet client, I'm only getting 10kB/s dl.
Have you considered simply using a different port on your usenet client?  Unless you are concerned about privacy and you want to hide your traffic from your ISP it might be an interesting experiment.  I had quite slow Usenet speeds for ages until I started mucking around with different ports.  I finally found a great SSL port that peaked out my speed as well - perhaps your ISP is blocking your normal port?
As for me, I use Unison on my Mac, so I am unable to use a proxy for Usenet traffic :-(

kepco

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
have tried different port numbers, UNS do provide which port number to used to connect to their server, SSL or non-SSL ports, non work without VPN.

but I didn't tried at different time in single days, so I guess I should tried that and see.

littlefox

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 06:51:59 AM »
kepco, Giganews works fine with BolehVPN.  I've never had a problem connecting to it with the sort of setup you mentioned (Computer -> BVPN -> Usenet).

I know you said that you can't max out your connection with Penangfon if you use Giganews, but can you clarify if that was running with or without BolehVPN?