Author Topic: Upgrade eMule (MorphXT version) in Win2K?  (Read 7021 times)

spiffy

Upgrade eMule (MorphXT version) in Win2K?
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Hi, is there any reason to upgrade the MorphXT mod of eMule from 0.48a to the current version of 0.50a?  I am still using Win2K; and I was trying to follow the config instruction exactly.  However, the only version I could install successfully was the 10.5 install package -- anything later would fail to install correctly.  Before subscribing to BolehVPN I was using the official release of 0.50a, and really have never used mod versions before. 

If I should upgrade for security or stability reasons, is there any way to upgrade the mod version without using the installer?  Sorry for such newbie questions.  Thanks in advance!

spiffy

Re: Upgrade eMule (MorphXT version) in Win2K?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
Update:  Turned out Win2K is no longer supported in 0.50a -- I am able to upgrade to 0.49b -- but this seems to be the last version that will work in Windows 2000.

I followed the configuration instruction exactly from the sticky; however, my connection to eD2K server is obfuscated, and Kad is completely firewalled.  Is this normal or is there any way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
What server are you connecting to? I believe the recommended servers are the Fully-Routed ones for Emule, try connecting to the Fully-Routed UK server, that has all ports open.

spiffy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
I am using Fully Routed Luxembourg.  Because I use uTorrent at the same time, my default connection is Luxembourg, with Netherlands as second choice (even though my connection to Luxembourg seems to be extremely stable, so I haven't really needed to connect to other servers at all.)  Do different servers have different limitations?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Yup, the Netherlands and UK have a wide range of ports open. I believe that's needed for Emule. But it's up to you.

Just out of curiosity, what do you get from Emule that you can't find off tracker sites and download with uTorrent?

spiffy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:30 AM »
Yup, the Netherlands and UK have a wide range of ports open. I believe that's needed for Emule. But it's up to you.

Just out of curiosity, what do you get from Emule that you can't find off tracker sites and download with uTorrent?

So Netherlands and UK servers will actually be preferable to Luxembourg?

I use eMule exclusively for c-subbed K-drama for a lady friend.  Maybe I am just not looking at the right places, but the few times I tried to get them from uTorrent there were barely any seeders, the whole process took forever.  I used to be able to go to a few reliable ed2k tracker sites and get the files from eMule; but I guess China has been coming down on those sites so things are getting harder and harder to find.  I've had to resort to using the search function within eMule to supplement the result (I realize that's not recommended, but I'm not sure what else to do.)