Author Topic: Playing m2ts (bluray file) from PC  (Read 12100 times)

dwk2112

Playing m2ts (bluray file) from PC
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:56:08 PM »
i have upgraded my PC and regret that i din go for quad core. I have the c2d e7400 2.8GHz. Tested playing 720p mkv, 1080p mkv...no problem whatsoever.

Next, i want to try to play full bluray file (m2ts file) or blu ray ISO. My questions are:

1. Can it be done with my system - i will get some files from my frens this weekend. But i want to find out if anyone out there playing bluray or not

2. How to play it. I know we need to use powerdvd. Any other software i need or tweaks i need to do?

kenkan73

Re: Playing m2ts (bluray file) from PC
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
I don't have Bluray drive but playing HD material for MKV majority bottleneck is VGA cardand not CPU. C2D should be sufficient to process the movie file and depends on whether your display card able to process and display 1920 x 1080. If you are able to play 1080i without problem and I don't think you have problem playing bluray file.

dwk2112

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
Ya...i have no problem playing 720p, 1080p mkv. But i want to see whether i can play the full blu ray, m2ts file...usually one movie is 40 GB.

jamesbond

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »
Yes, you can play m2ts from PC, if you play from blu-ray image file, you will need image mounter i.e. Virtual Daemon, in-order to mount the image on desktop, then Cyberlink Power DVD 8.0 will auto reconize it as a blu-ray disc in the image drive, however if you play the m2ts directly from the "Stream" folder, you can try drop the file directly to Cyberlink Power DVD. However the drop file method is not stable as PowerDVD sometimes refuse to play it. Using Image file method is more stable & reliable. Although there are other Blu-ray player like WinDVD, but still Power DVD is the best, don't waste your time looking for others. The latest version of PowerDVD is version 9. There are many bugs in version 9.0 so I still prefer using version 8.0, version 8.0 also support HD DVD.

Offline ShadowTek

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:54 AM »
I don't have Bluray drive but playing HD material for MKV majority bottleneck is VGA cardand not CPU.
??? It's always been the other way around for me. My Athlon 64 +3500 (2.2 GHz) can barely keep up. I have to kill all my other active processes just to watch one. The degree to which those files are compressed requires a good bit of CPU.

kenkan73

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »
I don't have Bluray drive but playing HD material for MKV majority bottleneck is VGA cardand not CPU.
??? It's always been the other way around for me. My Athlon 64 +3500 (2.2 GHz) can barely keep up. I have to kill all my other active processes just to watch one. The degree to which those files are compressed requires a good bit of CPU.
I don't like AMD most of the time. The CPU processing is optimize on one process and not optimize on multiple processes. But this is their characteristic since K2 ten year ago. All this while, AMD don't give me confidence as reliable CPU but cheap and overclockable processor.

altie

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
Heh, don't regret not getting a Quad core. Most progs don't reli support all 4 cores yet. Last I checked, only 2 games out of 10 supported 4 cores. I plan to plug in a Quad core in the next 2-4 years to increase my PC lifetime.

But this chat about loading Bluray intrigues me. I haven't really thought of trying, perhaps cos my monitor is still a 5 year old LCD. I'm still happy with AVI rips of movies. And DVD is still a big thing for me.

nwk

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:20:04 AM »
i just play m2ts files on my PS3. no need pc. no need upgrade. no headache.

bktay

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
about playing original blu-ray (file size probably are 40+gb and 20+gb for hk movies)
here have two way
1. if u want to use powerdvd to open ,u need to padded the bluray folder (some release group had delete some useless folder ) ,burn to iso file ,using daemon to mount image the iso file . After powerdvd will autorun .
2. using TMT3 (TotalMedia Theatre 3) Using this software ,you can direct open the bluray even the file are bdmv folder or iso ... (recommended)

onephatcow

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »
I'm fairly sure VLC player plays BD as well, though it's been a while since I messed with it.  Streaming via PS3 and using PS3 Media Server is  a whole lot more convenient these days :)

eugenet

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »
I use a Quad core 8200 and it is useless for video playback. The media players are not optimized to use multi-cores, so you'll see only 1 core running at 100% while the other 3 cores sit there twiddling their thumbs. On some videos, the video jerks and runs goes out of sync with audio.

I've resolved it with the DXVA - it uses GPU to decode instead of CPU. My CPU now sits idle at near 0% while the GPU does the work - flawlessly I must say. Here's more information about DXVA
http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905

To use DXVA, you'll need:
1. Media Player Classic (the only player I know that can run DXVA easily. Some got KMPlayer and others to run DXVA but I've failed)
2. Microsoft Direct X 9c and above (on command prompt, run dxdiag to check)
3. AMD graphic cards

At the time of research a few months back, NVIDIA graphic cards can't or doesn't support DXVA 100%. My mom's PC uses an ATI Radeon HD 4200 series graphics card (costs RM110 only). I use a 4600 series (RM250) because I play some games. If you want HD video playback only (no games), just get the 4200 series because I can't see any difference. And because the GPU does all the work, it doesn't really matter what kind of CPU you use.

You'll know MPC is using DXVA because you'll see the word DXVA at the status bar at the bottom of the MPC window. Also you'll notice your CPU idling at just 1%-2%.

With DXVA, you'll be able to run m2ts well. And nowadays, the encoders make sure their MKVs and even 1080p WMVs are compatible with DXVA.