Author Topic: Torrent downloads work great but are not uploading  (Read 8964 times)

Offline fredsanford

Torrent downloads work great but are not uploading
« on: June 08, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »
Hi, just started with Bolehvpn, moved over from HMA's VPN service which has some well-known issues.  This is much better!

I've tried a few IPT torrents and they downloaded with no problem, but I'm noticing that little or no upload activity occurs. After the download completes the torrents are in a "stalled" state "seeding to 0 of 0 connected peers." (This is using the Transmission bittorrent client on Ubuntu Linux.) I also tried downloading a Debian Linux 7.0 DVD. Same deal, the torrent downloads fine but upload is stalled at 0K.

I did not see this symptom at HMA, and nothing has changed on my end aside from connecting to Bolehvpn instead of HMA. (OpenVPN was used to connect to both services.) I'm admittedly a newbie when it comes to dealing with torrents, but have always tried to upload at least as much as I download.  What might be causing this problem?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Torrent downloads work great but are not uploading
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Which of our servers are you connecting to?

Offline fredsanford

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
I'm using the "FullyRouted-Canada.ovpn" config file. This is used in conjuction with a shell script wrapper that sets up an iptables firewall to prevent internet traffic if the VPN goes down, same as I was using previously.  To make sure that the firewall wasn't somehow responsible I also tested without any iptables rules (everything running open) and there was no change, so I put the iptables rules back in place.

Hmmm - what I am observing now though is a very slow upload taking place on a single months-old downloaded torrent that is still in Transmission. I'm getting a sporadic 2K to 10K upload on that one that comes and goes. There are about a dozen other, recent, downloaded torrents listed, they are just sitting there idle "Seeding to 0 of 0 connected peers," including the Debian CD just downloaded.

I've let transmission run for about 15 minutes now, observing its behavior after the latest download. Everything sat for several minutes idle. Then I started seeing a burst of upload activity (50K to 100K upload), but only on that one old torrent.  Everything else is sitting idle, including my latest downloads. Maybe there just happens to be no demand for any of this stuff at the moment? (The switch to Bolehvpn may just be coincidental.) I have to assume that if one of the torrents is able to upload any of them would be able to,  I've just not seen this pattern of inactivity before in my admittedly limited experience with torrents.

All back to zero uploads now, Transmission is just sitting idle. I'll leave it running for a while and see what happens.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
Could be there's no demand, depends on how many peers there are on the torrents. Give our FullyRouted Luxembourg / Sweden / Switzerland servers a try as well.

Offline fredsanford

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
OK, will give the other servers a try and see how it goes. (Transmission has been running for hours now and almost everything is still showing as "Stalled.")

Offline charak

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
I use fully routed GB and I have a seedbox either, I dowload/upload from IPT and others private trackers. it is normal that if you download torrents without  leechers you cannot upload. It is not because BolehVPN at all. When I have leechers connected with torrents I downloaded, my upload speed is the max for my connection, anyway IPT from BolehVPN is freeleech so you do not need to bother about upload, you can H&R....enjoy

Offline fredsanford

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Actually it looks like I just had stuff in my queue that was in low demand. This happened to be coincidental with my switch to BolehVPN. Having since added more current items, uploading works as expected.