Author Topic: Internet Download Manager (IDM) using BolehVPN as proxy  (Read 49697 times)

z0diac

Internet Download Manager (IDM) using BolehVPN as proxy
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »
What settings do I enter into IDM to use BolehVPN for downloading?

I'd like to keep using my regular IP and go through my current ISP for everything EXCEPT IDM downloads.  IE: I'd like to use my regular internet connection for email, banking, web browsing, etc... but any IDM downloads go through BolehVPN.

Does anyone know how to do this?

On the Proxy/Socks window of IDM settings it has boxes for:
Use Proxy (check mark box)
Proxy server address:
port:
username:
password:

What do I enter here?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Internet Download Manager (IDM) using BolehVPN as proxy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »
address 10.10.10.1 port 808 for HTTP(S) proxies.

No username / password needed.

z0diac

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 02:17:50 AM »
Thanks!  Although it doesn't seem to be working:  it DOES download files but at my full internet speed which maxes out at around 15.6MB/sec - and whenever I used to use BolehVPN Full proxy before, then use IDM, I'd max out much lower than that (usually around 3MB/sec).

Which leads me to believe that the files are still being downloaded directly through my ISP connection.

My current config:

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
Input port 808 for HTTP as well. You can double check by disconnecting the VPN and the downloads should stop after that. If they don't, then they aren't going through the VPN.

z0diac

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
Do I need to also be running the BolehVPN client?  I thought that was only for fully routed stuff. (???)  And, there would be no point in entering all this config into IDM if I was just going to run everything through VPN using the BolehVPN client anyway, right?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »
Yup! You'll need to be connected to our VPN servers before traffic can be rerouted through our VPN, this applies for both FullyRouted or Proxied.

And yes, you'll have to disable this if you're using FullyRouted

z0diac

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
Yup! You'll need to be connected to our VPN servers before traffic can be rerouted through our VPN, this applies for both FullyRouted or Proxied.

And yes, you'll have to disable this if you're using FullyRouted

Aaaahhhh ok. So there's really no point in using any proxy settings in IDM, since *all* traffic will be going through BolehVPN once I run the client, anyways....

I was hoping there was a way I could just use my regular internet connection as usual, except have just the IDM traffic going through Boleh.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »
What you're looking for is completely possible. I believe we've had a misunderstanding somewhere, when you connect to our Proxied servers, only traffic you specify will go through our servers.

z0diac

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
AAah ok.

So right now I'm using the settings I posted above in the screen shot:

10.10.10.1 port 808  for HTTP/HTTPS/FTP settings in IDM.

I'm doing a test download and am getting about 12MB/sec, which seems high for BolehVPN - at least compared to the FullyRouted servers.  Whenever I'd connect to one of them, then use IDM, I'd max out at around 4MB/sec.  Yet my regular (straight through ISP) transfers max out at around 15.6MB/sec.

Is there a way I can test to see if my IDM downloads are indeed going through the Boleh proxy server?  Or are the Boleh proxy servers generally faster than the FullyRouted servers?  If so, that would explain the much faster transfer speed.

My point being, using the proxy settings in IDM I mentioned above, the transfer speeds I'm getting seem to be too fast to actually be going through the proxy, if the proxy speeds are similar to the fullyrouted speeds.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »
If you disconnect from the BolehVPN servers, your IDM downloads should stop. If they don't stop, then your IDM downloads aren't going through our VPN

Could be that you're using a different server with better routing to it, or there's less load.

z0diac

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:27:52 AM »
If you disconnect from the BolehVPN servers, your IDM downloads should stop. If they don't stop, then your IDM downloads aren't going through our VPN

Could be that you're using a different server with better routing to it, or there's less load.

Yes I disconnected Boleh and the xfer stopped - thanks!  I'm very happy to be getting good speeds with it.