Author Topic: Torrents blocked on USA gateways?  (Read 7423 times)

maxine72

Torrents blocked on USA gateways?
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
Hey,

I'd like to connect to a US VPN server as they are the fastest for me but I've read that you block torrenting on your USA gateways. If this is true then what are you blocking? Do you block a list of trackers or do you block certain port ranges? I normally have encryption enabled and use magent links, I don't see how that can be blocked? If you are blocking large port ranges then what about Skype etc that are also p2p, won't they be blocked too?

Thanks!

Offline Indingo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
Re: Torrents blocked on USA gateways?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
BolehVPN block torrents on US servers because of abuse notices from all the torrents people were running on those servers. Just assume the US servers are a no go for torrents and use the Canadian servers. If your in the USA the Canadian servers are pretty fast as well and there is no limitations on running torrents with them. I can't tell you the technical aspects on BolehVPN's end, but I would just go for Canadian servers when running torrents.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:32:23 PM by Indingo »

maxine72

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
Thanks but I find the US gateways add much less latency and I want to connect to a single server for all my Internet activity. I just want to understand a little more about the block so I know what will and what won't work.

Offline Indingo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »

Thanks but I find the US gateways add much less latency and I want to connect to a single server for all my Internet activity. I just want to understand a little more about the block so I know what will and what won't work.

I totally understand and wish you were able to run torrents on the USA servers as well, it would make things simpler. I know BolehVPN pulled the servers because of torrents once before and only just add the USA server back, with their torrent blocking. I know you want to torrent on there and can completely understand why from one user to another, but they have been pretty vocal on not using the USA servers to torrent, unless anything has changed since then, I think the only reason the USA servers came back because they figured out how to block torrents on a server level. I know Skype and other things work fine on that server from my own testing. But really, I would suggest against looking for ways to circumvent the blocks as it will just get the servers taken down again and nobody will get to use USA anymore.  ;)

maxine72

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your response. However I'm asking this as  I do a lot of legal torrent downloading i.e. Linux distro's. If they are blocking at the tracker level then it shouldn't stop me however if they are blocking using some form of network packet analysis then its likely to block legal torrenting as well. I just want someone from Boleh to tell me briefly how its blocked so I can understand what will and will not work.

Offline Indingo

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your response. However I'm asking this as  I do a lot of legal torrent downloading i.e. Linux distro's. If they are blocking at the tracker level then it shouldn't stop me however if they are blocking using some form of network packet analysis then its likely to block legal torrenting as well. I just want someone from Boleh to tell me briefly how its blocked so I can understand what will and will not work.

Alrighty no problem, Chris or Ruben will most likely be around to help you with your question, and hey there is always downloading your Linux Distro's directly from download servers instead of torrents. Hope your problem gets answered shortly!  ;)

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
We block trackers + some ports. No packet analysis what so ever is done.