Author Topic: Net build recommendation help needed  (Read 3969 times)

ak101ss

Net build recommendation help needed
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
Hey there, I need a net build recommendation for my house. I am using broadband 1mpbs from tmnut ( will upgrade to 4mpbs soon ). The house has 5 net users.
The main goal of this build is to experience minimal modem/connection failure ( where WAN connection fails suddenly due to heavy load by users forcing a reboot of the modem to solve the problem ). I know it's impossible to have a modem that never freezes, so let's just put it to near zero.
Second goal is minimum ping for lan connections, and good speeds for p2p/vpn/voip protocols. ( some modems just handle these protocols poorly. ) I don't mind a bridge connection ( modem + router )

All wireless connections are within 20 meters of modem radius and on the same floor ( but may be blocked by two walls max - one wall is about 6 inch thick ) Also do recommend a wifi usb adapter for desktop 2 that will work like a charm with the suggested build. Thanks

5 users and usage are as below.

Desktop 1 - LAN connection - heavy FPS Gaming(p2p protocol at some times), heavy Teamspeak/Ventrilo, controlled 24/7 p2p downloading via a vpn ( speeds are controlled to 60-80kbps to allow other users to  breathe, max global connections of 300), and occasional http surfing/downloading. Speed and low latency is important to this user. User hates getting fragged by lag kills. Usage 24/7

Desktop 2 - Wireless connection via usb adapter - medium light Http surfing/downloading, minimal voip. Bandwidth and quality of connection is important to this user. This user hates sudden disconnections. Each usage session is about an hour only, three to four times daily.

Laptop 3 - Heavy http downloading and browsing for long hours. Occasional p2p protocol but doesn't go through vpn, thus this user downloads p2p at throttled speeds( 40kbps tops).

Phone 4/5 - Medium/heavy http downloading/surfing, heavy voip protocol. Always-on connection is necessary.

not all users use at the same time, the usual scenario is usually  ( Desktop 1 + Desktop 2 + Phone 4 ) or ( Desktop 1 + Laptop 3 + Phone 4 + Phone 5 ).

I had a dlink modem once before ( old modem + wireless G router ) that never needed a reboot till a lightning struck it and killed it. Other models that I bought since that modem have failed me. Current set up is a belkin wireless N300 modem + router and desktop 2 uses a belkin wireless n150 usb adapter. This set up is failing user desktop 1 and 2. Phones support wifi N connections but only at 2.4ghz bands.

Please help me sifu!!! Thanks.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Net build recommendation help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
Step 1 avoid Belkin :D

Lol :D That's all I have to say to that.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

ak101ss

Re: Net build recommendation help needed
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:49:45 AM »
Lol thanks for the input, it does suck bad. Anyways, is the cisco linksys x3000 router worth the shot? So far I've not seen any bad reviews on that. Or would a
D-link DSL-520B or Aztech DSL705E  + D-Link DIR-655 do the job?