Author Topic: Seagate vs. Western Digital  (Read 12699 times)

Offline ainuddin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
Seagate vs. Western Digital
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:53:28 AM »
as the topic is, please do comment guys. its upgrading time for me and looking for a good 1TB drive.

louislee1991

Re: Seagate vs. Western Digital
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »
WD

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
I think it's model based so look up a review on the particular model :D

I have good experiences with both HDDs
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline gashbell

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
  • Hentai Lover
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »
WD

;D (hidden meaning behind this)

I'll go for seagate. Using one for almost 10 years now and still running fine
I wish I had 4 hands and 2 dicks so I could fap twice as much and still have 2 hands free.

Offline ainuddin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
seems that the 1TB's available near my place only gives 3 years warranty. is that ok? hdd's had at least 5 years warranty back in the old days. read some reviews and hdd's with 5 years warranty are the ones that should be on the top part of a users upgrading list.

freeman85

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
seems that the 1TB's available near my place only gives 3 years warranty. is that ok? hdd's had at least 5 years warranty back in the old days. read some reviews and hdd's with 5 years warranty are the ones that should be on the top part of a users upgrading list.

new seagate 7200.12 only have 3 years warranty
wd also have 3 years warranty except for black edition which is 5 years warranty
samsung also have 3 years warranty

go with  1tb hdd with 2 platters less heat from it

louislee1991

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »

new seagate 7200.12 only have 3 years warranty
wd also have 3 years warranty except for black edition which is 5 years warranty
samsung also have 3 years warranty

go with  1tb hdd with 2 platters less heat from it

And WD has 1tb with 2 platters. Its manufactured after MAY 2009. Check for WD drives after that date and it should be 2 platters

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
  • I have the right to go apeshit.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
And WD has 1tb with 2 platters. Its manufactured after MAY 2009. Check for WD drives after that date and it should be 2 platters
NOT ALL WD 1TB drives manufactured after MAY 2009 have 2 platters; most are still 3 platters. You have to check the revision number as well. AFAIK, the WD10EADS-00M2B0 model is using 2 platters.

@ainuddin, regarding brands, different people will have different experiences with any brands, so just go with what you're comfortable with.

You might wanna check out the 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 series though; they're VERY affordable @ less than RM350.
"There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven and hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
1080p x264 test file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSKFM2W5

Offline ainuddin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:32:01 AM »
from my point of view, i would choose either Seagate or WD. the other brands are good too i guess but if words of mouth are to be believed, other brands than that two encounters quite a lot of problems. ill check out some suppliers tomorrow and see which one might suit my usage.

kenkan73

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Put 2 running RAID 1 and ignore the brand. Any brand will works just 2 same HDD.

Offline dexbot.fallout3

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Captain
  • I have the right to go apeshit.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:50:46 AM »
from my point of view, i would choose either Seagate or WD. the other brands are good too i guess but if words of mouth are to be believed, other brands than that two encounters quite a lot of problems. ill check out some suppliers tomorrow and see which one might suit my usage.
To be honest, the worst brand I've ever used is Seagate. I RMA'ed 3 drives last year alone, and that was the last straw.

I've never needed to RMA any other brands though.
"There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven and hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
1080p x264 test file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSKFM2W5

louislee1991

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
To be honest, the worst brand I've ever used is Seagate. I RMA'ed 3 drives last year alone, and that was the last straw.

I've never needed to RMA any other brands though.

I would agree with dexbot. Although i have been using WD all my life, its quite good and it has never failed me.

Offline ainuddin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
got myself the WD caviar green. fast, silent and looks to be ok. now saving up for WD's external storage + the WDTV. the lil bro is going to buy a new large HDTV so need to chip in to help set up an entertainment system for our room.

Offline geebox07

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 09:23:32 PM »
I'm biased, having had a 500GB Seagate drive fail on me; I'd defo say WD (I went for WD Caviar Black edition).  After my Seagate bricked, a lot of the forums I went on to for research also contained recommendations for WD over Seagate, but then they were all biased too...!

freeman85

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
so far my 500gb seagate never failed on my server :D
time to upgrade it to larger drive  :P
go3 samsung 1.5tb