Author Topic: Block traffic (uTorrent) when fully routed OVPN is not up?  (Read 8663 times)

Xerbi999

Block traffic (uTorrent) when fully routed OVPN is not up?
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
I would like to find a way to properly block my uTorrent whenever the fully routed VPN is NOT up. I can across several approaches during my search:

1)  BolehVPN Client is supposed to freeze traffic when the connection is interrupted:  http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?topic=6977.0
Unfortunately, that solution feels a bit dogy to me. There is no indication what so ever to make SURE that this works. I did a simple ping and traceroute test...but it did NOT freeze anything. And even if it would work. It is not exactly what I want. I want to block uTorrent or any other application in general, as long as the VPN is not up.

2)  The BolehVPN proxied solution works fine and would get pretty close to what I am looking for. But first, there are only 4 proxied servers listed in the BolehVPN (Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland)...and I trust neither of those countries! I'd like to have a proxy in Sweden or Hong Kong for example. So I'd have to use the fully routed VPNs where I cannot make use of the proxied solution.
And secondly, I dont fully trust the applications either, that they REALLY just go through their specified proxy socket etc. So I'd prefer another solution.

3)  Using a separate firewall like Comodo to only allow a certain program through the TAP (OVPN) interface.
That solution is kinda ok but I'd rather not rely on 3rd party software here. Which brings us to solution 4...

4)  Restricting certain applications to only pass through the VPN but facilitating the Windows Firewall. For Ipredator, I found this blog post:  https://blog.ipredator.se/howto/restricting-utorrent-to-vpn-interfaces-part-1.html
It works like a charm! But In order to make it work, I'd require the local network address I am assigned by BolehVPN. (see page 2 of the blog).

Now my question would be, if the BolehVPN support could me either supply with the network settings for solution 4?
Or if there are any other solutions I might have not looked into yet?

Thanks for the assistance!

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Block traffic (uTorrent) when fully routed OVPN is not up?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »
Unfortunately, the local address that you are assigned is random every time you connect. You could always maintain a 24/7 connection to a specific VPN server though.

I'm curious as to why you'd rather not use Comodo Firewall, they're widely regarded one of the best firewalls available.

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
As Chris pointed out Comodo is what you should be using, creating rules to drop connectivity where you want it dropped.

Creating firewall rules with firewall applications is how this is typically done across most systems; Apple, Linux, Unix, Windows...

I use Firewall rules in about the same way in Linux, it's common, so don't worry about using this 3rd party app...

Comodo is good, so use it, it's the best FREE way to do it in Windows and it's a damm good Firewall for Windows users...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:22:20 PM by Slacker »

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
Actually this had slipped my mind but we actually have our own guide for Windows firewall, here, http://bolehvpn.net/blocking-non-vpn-traffic.php

Xerbi999

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful feedback guys!
I guess I'll give Comodo a chance and will post my feedback later.

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful feedback guys!
I guess I'll give Comodo a chance and will post my feedback later.

Ahhh didn't realize there was a Windows guide...

Looks like the Comodo guide slipped your mind too Chris, LOL...   :P

http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?topic=6621.0

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
Well Xerbi did want to use the Windows firewall after all

Xerbi999

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
I came to the conclusion that I trust the M$ firewall actually less than Comodo ;)
It works fine so far, without complaints. Thanks again for every1's input!

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
I don't trust much of anything M$... :P

Comodo much better...