Author Topic: Swedish server?  (Read 16783 times)

UnknownSoldier

Swedish server?
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Greetings, fellow VPN addicts.

I have been using this service for only 2 days but I am loving it and I can't believe the great speeds and functionality I am getting. This beats all the VPNs I've tried before discovering this wonderful provider.

I do have one question though, and I apologize if this question has been asked before, but why is there no server in Sweden? Or any other Scandinavian country, for that matter? Sweden is famous for its liberal internet laws and it's P2P heaven, and yet BolehVPN, being a P2P supporter, for some reason has no servers stationed there? I personally find that I get the best p2p speeds when I use a Swedish VPN server. So a lack of a Swedish server here is quite shocking to me.

Are there any plans for a Swedish server?

P.S. Keep the HK server! All those expats who work in China rely on it!

Offline PitBoss

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Swedish server?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:53:18 AM »
We did have swedish servers before but the cost of maintaining the servers do not justify keeping them. It is more expensive that the HK servers. HK servers situation is being looked into and we will decide if we will keep the server or not. HK will be used mainly for streaming and surfing only as the bandwidth cost in HK is 3-4 times higher than EU or US bandwidth.

Co-Founder / Administrator

UnknownSoldier

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:30 AM »
Perhaps some other Scandinavian country then? Have you considered any of those?

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:21:50 AM »
Well do we have Switzerland and Netherlands which aren't quite Scandinavian countries. We also tried Denmark before but connectivity there isn't that great. Norway...haven't heard of their connectivity there.

Interestingly, if we DIDN'T support P2P, we would have a lot more countries to add into our mix. The problem is that P2P generates a LOT of bandwidth and Sweden's server providers seldom have unmetered plans (or if they are, they're prohibitively expensive).
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »
Anyway i've resumed my search for some Sweden servers :D
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

UnknownSoldier

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
That would be great! Subscribing for a year.

Thanks guys :D

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
Anyway i've resumed my search for some Sweden servers :D

Yeah the search is on for Sweden! :)

Reuben, send me a PM and tell me the cost range you're looking to spend and I'll look too and see what I can find in Sweden..

THANKS

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
One of the reasons Sweden also not high on my list is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FRA_law

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
One of the reasons Sweden also not high on my list is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FRA_law

From what I read it doesn't just openly happen;

Legal surveillance

In 2008, Sweden’s parliament narrowly passed a law that lets its signals intelligence agency (FRA) monitor the content of all cross-border cable-based internet traffic to combat “external threats” such as terrorism and organized crime — but only after obtaining court permission, and upon the explicit request of government or defense agencies.

http://www.sweden.se/eng/home/society/government-politics/reading/internet-freedom-in-sweden--a-closer-look/

It doesn't appear that anyone just sit and spy on anyone at anytime for any reason...

So unless a court order is brought against BolehVPN to monitor, I don't think it's going to happen...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:52:50 AM by Slacker »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
Ok we've ordered a Swedish server. Should be up in the next couple of days.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Gnikf

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
In the wiki pages is also written that they have been spying on swedish and not only citizens for the past decade even before the law.
Infact I'm not sure how someone would believe that because there is no law allowing it, the government is not doing it.
It has been proven that in many countries they do whatever they want. After all there is nobody that can monitor THEM, neither an authority that can hold them responsible so....why we should believe that just because there is no law to allow it, it's not done?

UnknownSoldier

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »

There is a God.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »
Don't know how the performance of it would be since we're trying a new provider but we'll see :D

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »

Ahh nice Reuben, I've always thought Sweden is good, at least at this point in time for their P2P pirate fighting. What the future will hold for Europe is anyone's guess, but it does seem privacy is going down the toliet in Europe, less and less of it all the time...

But you should always make sure to keep your eyes on the laws of each country that the servers are in, but I'm sure you know that already... ;)

For the future, given that most arrests from P2P are brought about by the USA, I'd try to keep my eyes out for servers in a country that has no alliance or no extradition treaties with the USA.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
If you're tech savvy, try this
remote 176.61.136.35 443

Put it in a custom OVPN similar to Fully Routed :D Let us know what kind of speeds you get!

Co-Founder/Administrator