Author Topic: Private torrent sites - don't understand the concept.. Someone help?  (Read 8142 times)

bzie

I understand that private torrents produce better download speeds, so maybe save half the time. But then again, we are expected to upload what we downloaded, wait till ratio is 1 .... this will end up wasting more time than we saved, doesn't it?

Example :- Download 10gb takes 1 day (save 1 day), but then need to seed/upload 10gb, wait more than 1 day. So in the end, time taken is longer to get more torrents

kitsuna

Re: Private torrent sites - don't understand the concept.. Someone help?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
its normal on adsl cause upload speed is slower than download speed
tmnut package - 1mb dl, 384kb ul
life never been fairer than this :P

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
Many sites have 'seed points' which give u points whether any data is uploaded or not as long as you are on it. Also, remember that you get to watch, use whatever you downloaded really quick while all u have to do is just seed back and leave ur comp on whenever u're not doing anything :P
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

bzie

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:25:59 AM »
Which sites are these? I dont think leacherslair is one of them.

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »
If private trackers/sites don't appeal to you, then don't use them. simple, no?

However, if you use public trackers to download copyright-sensitive material like HBO titles, FIFA gaming titles, and major movie studio titles from Dreamworks, Paramount, Fox etc, you are putting our vpn at risk. Private trackers are less likely to be monitored by the MPAA/RIAA.

So even if you do not find their speed beneficial (like a ton of us do), and are put off by seeding, then at least consider the added protection they offer.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:04:02 AM »
I think a big point is missed here.

wait till ratio is 1 .... this will end up wasting more time than we saved, doesn't it?

You're not actually 'waiting' anymore. U're just leaving it on to seed.

Cause you already have your file and can do whatever you want with it. If you leave your computer on to download, leaving it on to seed while you're not using it is also not too bad.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline kiddc

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
  • aww snap
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »
If you're seeding the file, you can already access, view, install or do whatever you want to the download. Just cannot delete.

Its based on equality and fairness, u download 1 gb, you upload 1 gb.

Just try it la, on some sites like Leecherslair (one of the sites that has a more lenient quota management system , IMHO) You download 1gb, then you stop seeding after you finish download and take a look at your quota at leecherslair.