Author Topic: BolehVPN Hosting VPN Servers Through Private Layer INC?  (Read 6333 times)

SUPERUSER12345

BolehVPN Hosting VPN Servers Through Private Layer INC?
« on: December 23, 2011, 06:14:14 AM »
I noticed something when I was running this test: http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox/smart-whois.php on my IP that I was using it told me the owner of the IP is Private Layer INC. They are a server hosting company. https://privatelayer.com/ I am wondering if this means that BolehVPN is outsourcing some of its VPN hosting to them? So can the traffic and my IP therefore be logged? Or does this just simply mean they are using Private Layer hardware but have full control over it? Just trying to understand how this works.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: BolehVPN Hosting VPN Servers Through Private Layer INC?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »
We're using Private Layer's hardware but have full control over these servers.

It is not practical to maintain several datacenters in SEVERAL countries just for VPN services. This means several million in expenditure PER country :D
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

SUPERUSER12345

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:46 AM »
That makes sense.. Out of curiosity are there any of the exit nodes that you do you own the hardware?

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
Depends what you mean by own the hardware. In certain situations we do buy the hardware and then co-locate. But that really isn't a big difference. Hosters don't even have our root password to our servers so they need to ask us when they go in.
It'll be pretty extreme if they load into recovery mode to reset the root password and in those cases
1) It MAY be a breach of laws to even do that.
2) The server will have to go offline for them to reset the root password and we have systems in place to alert us when a server goes down.
3) Once server goes down and we can't get back in cause of the root password reset then kinda obvious that something happened.

If they intercept incoming data, it's encrypted. The rest of this I will pm you.

I somehow think it's pretty unlikely that will happen since it's so extreme and would be a real nightmare for them. If they get a court order, the logical response would be to just comply and let them seize the server rather than try to use it to gather evidence and trap people.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:10:41 AM by Reuben »
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator