Author Topic: How do I set up Media Player with VPN  (Read 7133 times)

Offline mustafarawther

• emar
How do I set up Media Player with VPN
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »
Hi,
My pc(with BolehVPN installed)  and media player, WD TV Live is connected over the LAN. My media player has got inbuilt streaming US apps but unable to play because of the geo locking.

I have a Netflix account and currently watch Netflix on my pc with VPN. I would like to watch Netflix through my media player.

Any suggestions on how to configure my media player to do this?

Thanks.

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
Re: How do I set up Media Player with VPN
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
I googled around a little for 'WD TV Live OpenVPN', I may be wrong, but from what I can see it's not possible to use OpenVPN, or at least easily through WD TV Live.

For now, probably your best bet is to buy a router and use either dd-wrt or Asus-WRT Merlin.

Offline mustafarawther

• emar
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
Hi Slacker, thanks for the reply. There is an article on the internet on configuring the media player via a laptop with a VPN service. http://mrvpn.com/how-to-set-up-a-vpn-for-wd-tv

However, the part that confuses me is the requirement to enter an ip address on the laptop((10.0.0.1)  which in the case of Bolehvpn should be left blank and an ip address of 10.0.0.2 for the media player. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Offline PitBoss

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:27 PM »
Mus,

The best way is to change your router and route all traffic thru the router. This will allow your PC, notebook, mobile phones and all users of that router access to netflix or others that are geo-locked.

But if you insist on using thru your laptop, you need to create a direct link between your computer and media player. Its like p2p between the two of them. Create a new network and put any public IP class as your IP on 192.x or 10.x or 172.16.x but make sure that the IP is not our IP or your router IP subnet.

If u put your notebook 10.0.0.1 then put 10.0.0.2 in wd-live. This way both of your pc and wd can see each other, except that now you are using your notebook as the gateway.

This setup has nothing to do with the VPN but once you setup the connection and allow sharing, all traffic requested by wd-live will go to the notebook which will then send it thru the vpn tunnel.

Hmm, lo, confusing? Call me

Co-Founder / Administrator

Offline mustafarawther

• emar
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:01:47 PM »
I like the router approach...but...have to wait till pay day....thanks again for the inputs.

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
Yes it gets down to which is cheaper to burn up running all the time, the router or laptop, I think the choice is obvious! ;) LOL...

But in the meantime, as even PitBoss is pointing out, it's not confusing or difficult to set up the laptop and use it until payday comes, LOL...

Following those steps is only like 5 minutes of work, so look at it and read it carefully and just follow the directions, along with what PitBoss is saying...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:00:20 PM by Slacker »