Author Topic: Your Server Locations Are Not Good  (Read 11384 times)

Bizi

Your Server Locations Are Not Good
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Ok people seemed to have taken things the wrong way when it was not my intentions, I was just typing faster then looking I guess and of course when you know who you are, sometimes we say without thinking, will people take things the wrong way with what we have said?

Anyhow I just want to say sorry if that is how you looked at it, but the truth is I did start out saying I was here to share and help, did I not? So the fact is most people, no matter what you say, how you say, still look at everything in a negative...

Just remember people, when you have a GREAT ATTITUDE in life, no matter what anyone says in any manner, you will not see things badly, but no matter what anyone says when you have an attitude it will never matter, because the glass will always be half empty instead of half full.

So here I'll change the words, because the truth was, as I said, I just came to share and be positive and let you know I have some good experience with this is all... :)

The servers you have listed in each of these countries are bad! I know you care judging from the information on this site I have read, I believe you do, I'm not sure how much research you did before starting this, but you should look into more for the protection of yourself/business and customers, I'd hate to see anything happen to geeks I know are in this for the love. :)

1. United States of America
The USA is a complicated issue, basically from the outside looking in, most people think it really offers the best and in many situations it doesn't. Don't get me wrong here, the American people are great, the government isn't, that's who you need to be afraid of and if you think this is BS then look at what Homeland Security has been doing in America, illegally seizing sites as one example of their iron hand on the internet trying to take control, all by the way which is illegal!

The RIAA, MPAA and a few others, they'll come after you if they suspect anything wrong, they've done it in the past and they continue to come after people. The USA is a nation with the power and ability to get you, even with your VPN. They arrest American people all the time for P2P, it's not the place to run a server!

2. Canada
They have very tight ties to the USA and based on that fact, not a good place for business either

3. United Kingdom
Very bad Internet privacy laws like most of Europe

4. Luxembourg
Europe not so great!

5. Germany
Again European not good.

If you're going to run a VPN and do it right then you don't want to get servers in the typical countries like most people do, what you have done is very common among companies. America and most of Europe is not good, Sweden however is an exception to the rule with their freedom fighting going on...

You typically hear these countries might be on the forefront of great things in regards to privacy, but that's only because of the cry of the people to make it better while their governments still neglect the rights of the people and continue to strip them away.

You have to do your research and get servers placed in countries far from the reach of strong powers like the USA and from many of it's Allies that will rollover from the USA pressure.

You need to have servers in obscure out of the way countries that no one really cares about, isn't an economic power or threat, etc...

I'll let you make up your own minds and hopefully in time you will, when you see the change of freedom and privacy in the future.

To get you on your way, one such country that offers computing power and speed that no one really cares about is New Zealand, places like this is where you need to be looking...

Here's some good information;

https://secure.cryptohippie.com/pubs/EPS-2010.pdf

PEACE
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:07:12 AM by Bizi »

freeman85

Re: Your Server Locations Are Not Good
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
well....after reading whole list ..bolehvpn offer variety of location
the USA server is a surf stream server ..this for hulu and this kind of service
Canada also for surf kind service and torrent also
UK for uk content ..such as bbc and few other things  ..and not to mention great speed when other part of europe slow
Luxembourg  and again variety ..and cheap also
germany same as Luxembourg
for user from malaysia is just about the speed and cable fault  :P
regarding other server location u mentioned the cost just dont justify the benefit
bolehvpn need to increase the price ..more user change to other provider

it just my 2 cent :P

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »
Interesting, where would you suggest we host our servers?

Criteria that has to be met is:
a) speed
b) price
c) tolerant of P2P and privacy

Beyond those that are listed in our current mix, we have tried Sweden (people did not really like this server as it gave slower speeds as compared to the rest) and it was a whole lot more expensive and Poland which had limited bandwidth.

Russia was considered but their guarantees of service was poor along with their respect for privacy (although they're P2P friendly).

Malaysia is off limits due to price and no respect for privacy (google the Shinjiru debacle where the government attached devices to a torrent site's servers without them knowing).

US is as I explained already in my e-mail to you is for Hulu/NBC stuff.

In that very EPS article you linked, Luxembourg is ranked 40 out of 50 which actually means it's pretty good since North Korea is 1. Indeed Luxembourg is our number 1 choice for our servers as it offers the right mix of what we're looking for.

I would be very interested if you know of a country that has a strong legal framework in place and that respects privacy and also is P2P friendly and of course good bandwidth. Remember without a strong legal framework, gov can always ignore the law. We push like 20 TB through each of our servers every month and as such we are quite different than yoru regular VPN provider which deals with much less traffic. I understand in your e-mail that your only concern is privacy and if that's such a case, there are cheaper alternatives out there (but I don't think they have locations much different than ours) so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Note that also I would think price per bandwidth is a relevant option especially when your first e-mail to me was regarding our high prices. To keep price low there are certain limits we have to take. For example in Malaysia it costs RM380 per 1 mbit of dedicated bandwidth per month.

I understand from your first sentence that you're here on a positive note but there's a reason why I chose not to respond any further through e-mails. The first lengthy e-mail you sent to me was saying that we're from a 3rd world country and as such why were we charging 1st world prices and we should be cheaper. I explained this to you as we have a high bandwidth focus and we are using servers from 1st world countries.

You then moved on to say that the way I dealt with my customers is wrong and that it was unprofessional. Understood but being a business owner if people are rude or unreasonable to me, I don't see the need to deal with them. The great majority of my customers are happy with my customer service and I think I've replied to your queries until you then came back with another round of criticisms on how I run BolehVPN.

Now, you're telling me that my VPN server locations are not good despite my Luxembourg servers being very low on your EPS list and me explaining the reasoning of my US servers is for Hulu/pandora streaming and not for privacy. It's as if you don't want to hear what I have to say. So perhaps I may be wrong in categorizing you as someone who is out to find fault with my service but you have to understand the e-mails you sent and now the public forum postings do give that impression despite your assurances. And all this without even being a customer of ours :(.

That being said, I'm still open to your suggestions on where would be a good location then that meets all our needs. Believe me when I say that we have considered many factors when choosing our current VPN locations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:46:02 PM by Reuben »
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Bizi

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
CryptoHippie is the one that made the PDF list not me...
https://secure.cryptohippie.com/

CryptoHippie is suppose to be some pretty big experts in the field and I would highly recommend you contacting them, maybe they can help give you some information on all of this that will help.

It's true the USA and Europe are not good places to deal with for VPN privacy matters like you want a VPN for, which seems mainly geared towards P2P.

As I mentioned you want obscure out of the way countries, which mean little to anyone...

New Zealand I mentioned before, Iceland might be another place worth while since there is not much attention towards them, also something I came across recently is that Panama is suppose to be a safe place.

PEACE
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:37:49 AM by Bizi »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
Lol interesting means I have another person posting with your style like you just 2 days ago who is also an IT geek

*edited out e-mail due to request*
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:34:22 AM by Reuben »
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Oh, Bizi, you're so far up your own arse, your shit has apparently smudged and nudged your bloated sense of self. Go on and make a further ass of yourself; we are dying for entertainment. Please, please enlighten us further with your highly evolved sense of morality and business acumen.

Oh, and er PEACE (but dripping with obvious insincerity)

onephatcow

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
OMG it's high time we had another shitstorm of a 'scandal' around here.  It's been so dead...<runs off to make popcorn for the upcoming entertainment>

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »
<runs off to make popcorn for the upcoming entertainment>

oi, pass the popcorn!  ;D

Offline yhsiau

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »
 He is so smart that he should start his own VPN business.  ;)

Bizi

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »
Oh, Bizi, you're so far up your own arse, your shit has apparently smudged and nudged your bloated sense of self. Go on and make a further ass of yourself; we are dying for entertainment. Please, please enlighten us further with your highly evolved sense of morality and business acumen.

Oh, and er PEACE (but dripping with obvious insincerity)

You have a real attitude problem and if this is how this forum is going to be, rude and insulting towards people then fine I will go somewhere else for business because it seems you don't care how you treat future customers...

So this is how you treat potential customers? I'm sorry but I don't know what part of the world you are from but being this rude in business gets you fired and you should be removed as a Moderator of this forum because you certainly have no level of maturity or decency towards people and act like a child that seems to look at everything in a negative.

I'm sorry you somehow took something I said wrong, I only came to share, that I do know for a fact that these server locations in the world are not good when it comes to hardcore P2P and if you've been into computing for any length of time then you should know it, there is nothing complicated about.

I'm just what you call to the point and it was never my intentions to be rude or degrading towards anyone to share, but you seem to have such an attitude problem that you somehow thought it was.

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »
you should be removed as a Moderator of this forum because you certainly have no level of maturity or decency towards people and act like a child that seems to look at everything in a negative.

I shall endeavor to pick up the pieces of my shattered life should I be forcibly removed as moderator. I'm sure we will be reeling from the staggering loss of your business but we will try to soldier on--no matter how momentous the blow. Go enlighten others; I'm sure the depth of your wisdom is in great demand the world over. Cheerio!  ;)

Offline ShadowTek

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 08:46:43 AM »
I'm just what you call to the point and it was never my intentions to be rude or degrading towards anyone to share, but you seem to have such an attitude problem that you somehow thought it was.

I guess I've got as attitude problem as well, since you came off as a pompous ass to me.  :-*

Bizi

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
you should be removed as a Moderator of this forum because you certainly have no level of maturity or decency towards people and act like a child that seems to look at everything in a negative.

I shall endeavor to pick up the pieces of my shattered life should I be forcibly removed as moderator. I'm sure we will be reeling from the staggering loss of your business but we will try to soldier on--no matter how momentous the blow. Go enlighten others; I'm sure the depth of your wisdom is in great demand the world over. Cheerio!  ;)

My choice of words was bad and for that I'm sorry, but you assumed I was being a jerk and you made an assumption and did not give me the benefit of the doubt first, by first checking what my real intentions were, and that gave you no right to lash out at me with your words.

Don't assume just because people use a poor choice of words they are trying to act in some sort of manner. People will talk and type with other things on their mind, not paying attention to what they are doing. Have you never had a conversation with someone that wasn't really paying attention to you because their head was someone where else? If not you will and then you'll understand a little better, to another reason why people say things in the wrong way without meaning it, because they weren't paying attention like I was!

CHEERS

I guess I've got as attitude problem as well, since you came off as a pompous ass to me.  :-*

I was not trying to come off as an ass and I don't mind taking any responsibility and admitting that my words were not the best of choices but it was not my intention to do so, I typed wrong and I'm SORRY! :(

All of us at some time or another I'm sure have said things they wish they didn't or mean to, it just happens and if you stop to think about it like that, I just typed words in ways I shouldn't of, to realize people might look at like I was acting all puffed up...

So let it be a lesson for all of us, when someone says they are here to help like I was, are they really doing so, or just pulling our legs being a jerk?

The truth was, I posted to help, I made a bad choice of words, everyone made assumptions based on that which were incorrect and, first did not give me the benefit of the doubt but decided I was guilty and blasted away and that wasn't right.

We should always in life give people the benefit of doubt until they prove otherwise!

Also even if I, or someone else makes a bad choice in words, because this is suppose to be a place of business, the people should not be rude towards others with ill words and swearing over simple mistakes.

CHEERS

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:39:21 AM by Bizi »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Bizi, just to let you know I've taken a second look at NZ servers and their connectivity and bandwidth is just not up to par as per my first round of research. Iceland MIGHT be an option but it doesn't seem to offer any benefits over Luxembourg currently.

I was hoping to see if I could get some Swiss servers but we'll see as prices are atm beyond the reach of us if we want our servers to be stored ala Wikileaks style and for the majority of my customers, with our last conducted survey felt that they are price sensitive.

For the moment we're still using Luxembourg as our preferred choice though will be adding US servers more for accessing US content through mobile devices (Android) rather than for privacy.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Bizi

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:48 AM »
Bizi, just to let you know I've taken a second look at NZ servers and their connectivity and bandwidth is just not up to par as per my first round of research. Iceland MIGHT be an option but it doesn't seem to offer any benefits over Luxembourg currently.

I was hoping to see if I could get some Swiss servers but we'll see as prices are atm beyond the reach of us if we want our servers to be stored ala Wikileaks style and for the majority of my customers, with our last conducted survey felt that they are price sensitive.

For the moment we're still using Luxembourg as our preferred choice though will be adding US servers more for accessing US content through mobile devices (Android) rather than for privacy.

Did you read through that PDF?

I've been told  Luxembourg isn't good because they cooperate with the UK giving over information if the UK asks for it...

The objective here is, what countries offer the best privacy laws and not some cloak and dagger show of it, but really do have it, that's where it's tough...

Panama is suppose to be really good from what I understand.

If I may make a recommendation I would get in contact with the owners of Cryptohippie, http://www.cryptohippie.com/address.php and Xerobank https://xerobank.com/ and pick their brains, in regards to who truly offers the best privacy laws, that is real...

There's quite a bit of information floating around on the Net that Cryptohippie, and Xerobank might be the same business or using the same servers in Germany which wouldn't be good since they have been making their business seem like it's in Panama.

Anyway if you seek to contact them, just keep your eyes open...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:49:56 PM by Bizi »