Author Topic: IPT access Issue?  (Read 8451 times)

eddie5a

IPT access Issue?
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
I've tried accessing the site but can't. Tried it with different browsers with same results. Just can't access the site. It's been like for the last 6 hours or so. However,  I can access IPT using a proxy. So, I really don't know what the issue is - just thought you guys should know that may be a situation as a heads up.

Also curious if anyone else is having the same problem as me.

Offline AJaydono

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Lieutenant
Re: IPT access Issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
There are quite a few having these problems. Don't worry, you are not alone.

are you a Unifi user?

eddie5a

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:36 PM »
Yes, I am. Would that be an issue?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »
Yes, it's mainly a Unifi issue. Just route through our servers when it comes to accessing IPT.

eddie5a

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
How do I do that? Are you talking about using the surfing proxy or am I missing something obvious?

For now, when I do use the proxy to check on the site, I usually have to disconnect the 'proxied all' BolehVPN connection and then reconnect with the surfing proxy to access the site which can be tedious as there's so much of start stop. I did try using the proxyswitchy for chrome (found here on BolehVPN) so that I don't have to stop-start but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I could be doing something wrong but I don't think so. Are the port numbers shown on the site still the same or are there more reference/manuals I can look at to get this right? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
If you find the proxies setup within your browser too confusing, just connect with any of the fully-routed servers. That would solve all your problems since ALL traffic would be routed through it, be it your P2P or browser or whatever else you have running. No need to switch back and forth.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »
See the attached image for what your settings should look like. If it doesn't work, post up your log here and we'll check it, might be that particular server hasn't been configure properly.

viruz777

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:59:05 AM »
Hey guys I just wanted to update you on the current state of affairs for Unifi users regarding access to IPT. After discussion with several members of this board like AJ, Chris and Schaden, I realised I had to actually perform trial and error in order to properly diagnose what was going wrong.

1. I switched on fullyrouted and found I was able to access IPT but the download speeds were slower than my usual speeds with VPN turned off (I'm running a 5 MB Unifi package so that would mean I get about 550-600kb/s tops for downloads via IPT). These download speeds were usually capped at no more than 200kb/s on average but it was really erratic and went as low as 30 kb/s. What more I couldn't bear the latency in web surfing.

2. I switched to proxy and started to edit the proxy settings for utorrent. This was not enough because I was still unable to access IPT. After editing proxy settings for my browser mozilla however, I was able to access IPT. Download speeds were still below satisfaction.

3. The plus side to having fullyroute or proxy (properly changing the settings) is that you CAN access IPT at the cost of either slow browsing/loading on the side or slow downloads.

4. Fullyrouted and proxy speeds were capped on average not more than 200 kb/s but mostly in the 100s-180s.

5. So I decided to stop using VPN altogether and see what happens. Nothing moved. Downloads didn't move so I thought to myself in layman's terms, makes sense since if I'm just using Unifi without VPN I can't even access IPT what more download from there.

6. So I try to edit it here and there abit by changing the default DNS to google DNS in control panel network settings. My downloads speeds skyrocketed to my usual 550kb/s (it still had to pickup)! So I continued to access my router settings as well and change to those figures but then the downloads slowed back to the 200s.

7. I switched on VPN to see if it made any difference and it would appear that it made the download speeds even more erratic but no more than 200s.

8. I then reverted back to the original default DNS settings for both my network adapter settings and router settings. The speeds were also in the region of the 100s-200s.

9. I tried my luck again to just change the DNS figures to google DNS in the control panel, this time I see a slight improvement to the speeds (not more than 250) but it doesn't touch 550 anymore.

Final observation: The speeds were confusing with these tweaks and I thought I hit the jackpot with the random change to Google DNS numbers in control panel only (not the router). Surprisingly this didn't work earlier in the afternoon. I finally thought the best solution would be to switch on VPN just to access IPT and when you start to download them, then switch VPN off and leave it to Unifi speeds.

Conclusion based on these observations : I really don't know what's going on with Unifi seeing the results of these unpredictable speeds I'm getting. Can only hope this is some sort of 'maintenance' going on and this downtime in accessing IPT is actually temporary and not permanent :(

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
Do a pingtest to bbc.co.uk, or to apache.bolehvpn.net (start menu > run > cmd > ping apache.bolehvpn.net -n 100 and post your results.

viruz777

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
Is this with VPN turned on or off?

eddie5a

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
Thanks, Chris. It works now. I was using this setting earlier:

http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php/topic,6100.0.html The port number there is 8080 which doesn't work.

viruz777

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
The ping to apache with VPN turned off is:

Ping statistics for 92.48.72.23:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 98, Lost = 2 (2% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 232ms, Maximum = 252ms, Average = 234ms

The ping to bbc.co.uk with VPN turned off is:

Ping statistics for 212.58.241.131:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 204ms, Maximum = 265ms, Average = 206ms

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
Which server were you connected to when you first tried? Just the Fully-RoutedAll? Try the fully-routed UK instead, your routing looks alright to the UK.

When you stopped using the VPN to test the speeds, you did remember to remove proxy settings in uTorrent (If you were previously using the proxied servers) right? Because if you didn't remove them, your torrents wouldn't have moved.

viruz777

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
Yes just fullyrouted-all. I will try fully-routed UK as per your suggestion.

Yes the proxy settings were all set to default whenever i switched out of proxy connection. The torrents were moving but they weren't of the usual speeds that I got with bare Unifi without VPN on. I really hope Unifi didn't intentionally block IPT for good...

eddie5a

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
Looks like the issue has resolved itself. You can now login without a proxy.