Community: Hang out with the Boleh family > General Discussion

Surge Protection

(1/5) > >>

ocdetective:
OK, I am hoping to get some feedback on what you all do regarding surge protection  on your PCs.

As a background to the question my PC has suffered two hits in the last 4 months - just last week it borked my router, on board LAN, as well as my audio port (now having to use front connection on PC). In December it was much worse - it took out my router, modem, the other on board LAN, some USBs and my XBOX and D-Link Media Lounge (another media server) which were both linked to the router (wired).

After the first event I installed one of those 5 gang surge protector sockets which includes incoming and outgoing port for the internet line (Made by APC) but obviously it was ineffective.

I now intend to have first a back up UPS then a KOSS surge protector then another APC surge protector linked serially. So for streamyx the line first goes into one of the surge protectors and a second line then goes from the outpur of that into the input of the second surge protector and finally a 3rd line will go from the output of the second protector into the modem. I understand there maybe some line degradation however I would rather have that than keep shelling out for replacements. My streamyx line is split for the internet and also for fax however my fax machine is fine - I guess this is because I am constantly utilising the streamyx line for P2P, especially uploading on private trackers which keeps my upload bandwidth utilised 24/7.

To date I have had to replace the following:
2 routers
1 modem
Needed to buy replacement PCI card LAN
Needed 2nd hand xbox to replace d-link medialounge (DSM320)
Needed new power supply for xbox!

Any thoughts would be welcome!
I know nothing can 100% protect me apart from the telephone line from the modem however that is not really an option especially as the lightning hits around the time I am at work approx 65km away from home.

mcmicheal:
I suggest that u buy a powerful UPS system so that all of ur stuff plug into the UPS
Its easy to manage... but price wise, its kinda costly...

ocdetective:
Yes my intention is to have as the first line of defence a Back-UPS ES500 made by APC. The Surge protectors will be plugged into this and the other plugs (modem, router, PC and monitor) also plugged into the KOSS surge protector.

Reuben:
Haven't had the time to look through everything carefully but daisy chaining your surge protectors tends to void the warranty and insurance provided by some surge protectors like Belkin's.

ocdetective:
Not sure the worth of the warranty - the APC one I have just now has a warranty but do they insure against lightning anyway?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version