Author Topic: Advise on Antivirus needed  (Read 9540 times)

khairuza2002

Advise on Antivirus needed
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
Hi,
Currently I'm using AVG antivirus free edition. I'm considering purchasing an antivirus. Need some advise on which antivirus that is good, reliable & cost effective that would not get in the way of me using VPN & Torrent. Or should I just maintain the free software that I'm currently using? Tq

KA

kitsuna

Re: Advise on Antivirus needed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »
Kaspersky Antivirus or Kaspersky Internet Security
RM30++ per license for 1 year
can get one at LowYat Plaza
but need to allow openvpn in their firewall after installing them

p.s. : technically wrong section :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:01:54 AM by Furryness »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »
Kaspersky is a good choice which is regularly updated and doesn't take up too much resources.

There are others that recommend NoD 32 but I haven't tried it and am pretty happy with Kaspersky as a whole to the point I have implemented it throughout my Office which seems to have quite successful in detecting and purging the network off viruses.

Too bad I can't say the same about the Norton Corporate Edition that we maintained before.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

kitsuna

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »
Nod32 v3 also good, lightweight
Havent survey the price yet

Nod32 Antivirus user here :P

Norton is a total fail IMHO

louislee1991

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
Tried before NOD32 it was a good anti virus but I had the pirated version. Kaspersky is good. Qi=uite satisfied with it so far. If I am not wrong, KIS for 1 user, 1 year is RM20

adamsigoto

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »
Symantec Antivirus Corporate.

I've been using this since 2003? No crappy notifications on register, pay this pay that, etc. It updates every Friday and I don't think I have that much virus problems and it's really lightweight (except when you tell it to scan your pc).

Oh, and I got it off the net.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
Symantec Corporate Edition:
Yeah this is the piece of shit I had to use and it didn't protect my pc or my network.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

littlefox

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »
I've used NOD 32 before and it's pretty reliable. I've never gotten a false positive from it before (unlike with AVG) and it doesn't slow down my system like Kaspersky or become incredibly intrusive like Norton.

For a free but not really legal option, if you're using XP or 32-bit Vista, consider getting the older version of NOD32 like 2.7. Due to a bug in its trial version, you can actually just reinstall it every 30 days and it will still update and work like normal. This trick doesn't work with the newer 3.+ versions or with the 64-bit versions, though.

If you want to buy it, NOD 32 is a bit hard to find in Malaysia. A list of shops that sell them retail can be found here, but it is recommended that you call them in advance as they may not actually keep it in stock.  It can also be purchased online here.  Either way, a one-user one-year license will cost you about RM 140, making it one of the more expensive AV options in Malaysia.

freeman85

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »
fyi even atom mobo is bundled with kaspersky nowadays
really showing how less cpu power is needed to run kaspersky :D
plus 2gb of ram so cheap right now
not to mention u can disinfect the files and rollback to previous windows environment after
kaspersky detect changes that had been made by the virus

littlefox

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
fyi even atom mobo is bundled with kaspersky nowadays
really showing how less cpu power is needed to run kaspersky :D

Hey, all I know is that Kaspersky consistently slows down performance on my system when in use much more than NOD32 will. Emphasis on "my system", which happens to have 4GB of memory and is running Windows Memory Muncher Vista. The only antivirus I've found that will run faster than NOD32 on my system is AVG, but the false positive rate with that one is ridiculously high.

Anyway, everyone's mileage may vary. The only real way to see if a particular antivirus will be really slow on your system or not is to test it with the demo version. Who knows?  Maybe your system will create a miracle by being able to run Norton as fast as lightning without it being its usual naggy and intrusive self.