Author Topic: Surge Protection  (Read 17842 times)

ocdetective

Surge Protection
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
OK, I am hoping to get some feedback on what you all do regarding surge protection  on your PCs.

As a background to the question my PC has suffered two hits in the last 4 months - just last week it borked my router, on board LAN, as well as my audio port (now having to use front connection on PC). In December it was much worse - it took out my router, modem, the other on board LAN, some USBs and my XBOX and D-Link Media Lounge (another media server) which were both linked to the router (wired).

After the first event I installed one of those 5 gang surge protector sockets which includes incoming and outgoing port for the internet line (Made by APC) but obviously it was ineffective.

I now intend to have first a back up UPS then a KOSS surge protector then another APC surge protector linked serially. So for streamyx the line first goes into one of the surge protectors and a second line then goes from the outpur of that into the input of the second surge protector and finally a 3rd line will go from the output of the second protector into the modem. I understand there maybe some line degradation however I would rather have that than keep shelling out for replacements. My streamyx line is split for the internet and also for fax however my fax machine is fine - I guess this is because I am constantly utilising the streamyx line for P2P, especially uploading on private trackers which keeps my upload bandwidth utilised 24/7.

To date I have had to replace the following:
2 routers
1 modem
Needed to buy replacement PCI card LAN
Needed 2nd hand xbox to replace d-link medialounge (DSM320)
Needed new power supply for xbox!

Any thoughts would be welcome!
I know nothing can 100% protect me apart from the telephone line from the modem however that is not really an option especially as the lightning hits around the time I am at work approx 65km away from home.

mcmicheal

Re: Surge Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »
I suggest that u buy a powerful UPS system so that all of ur stuff plug into the UPS
Its easy to manage... but price wise, its kinda costly...

ocdetective

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »
Yes my intention is to have as the first line of defence a Back-UPS ES500 made by APC. The Surge protectors will be plugged into this and the other plugs (modem, router, PC and monitor) also plugged into the KOSS surge protector.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
Haven't had the time to look through everything carefully but daisy chaining your surge protectors tends to void the warranty and insurance provided by some surge protectors like Belkin's.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

ocdetective

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
Not sure the worth of the warranty - the APC one I have just now has a warranty but do they insure against lightning anyway?

mcmicheal

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
APC... nope

ocdetective

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:45:38 AM »
Then what do you suggest if APC is no good? Or are you referring to the warranty?

mcmicheal

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »
My company supply one APC product... which a high end UPS to
Yamaha Corp in Ipoh,
2 years on 24/7 in a server room...
No power overload, its aircon cooled...
Suddenly smokes puff from the UPS...
See see the battery exploded and fire coming out.

Then the M'sia APC take it to investigate.
APC ask my client to pay for the transportation fees
and also the investigation fees...

What is this? Their product got problem ask my client to pay for it.
My client can sue them for the product since almost cause trouble
burning their server room...

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
Warranty of the apc/surge protector device and insurance of the devices behind the protectors are different.

Better check which you have. Belkin's one is quite generous few thousand USD i believe. No idea on how to claim tho :D

I really highly suggest you avoid all unknown brands...especially those Malaysian ones.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

mcmicheal

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
The belkin one can claim from the comp shop u bought it...
If anything happens to ur comp that connected directely to belkin surge protector
Then u can claim for those hardware that hit by lightning.

ocdetective

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
To be honest Erun I have kinda dismissed the insurance etc - I briefly scanned it yesterday for my existing APC and there was an exclusion clause in it that seemed to refer to lightning but did not directly mention it. Even if it wasnt excluded, the claim has to be processed through Australia.
The models I intend to buy are APC (for UPS) and Koss (surge protector). If you know of any others feel free to recommend.
I am merely looking to minimise the risk, and if daisy chaining (and subsequent voiding of insurance) does this, then I am happy to do it.
McMicheal - will check out the belkin one you mention though again any insurance for damage to peripherals is likely to have to be done outwith Malaysia - the shop claim is likely only for a defective Belkin (unless the peripherals were bought at the same shop too).

EDIT:
OK going with the belkin surge protector (protects up to 90KA) and the APC UPS - question is should the UPS or surge protector be the first line of defence?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:41:42 AM by ocdetective »

RAN

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
I can't go into technical stuff cause I am a noob at that, but I can share my experience and what I use. Thunderstorms are almost a daily affair here. My modem was burnt twice, but it was replaced without fuss by TmButt. The first thing I bought was a UPS, a Power Tree brand, as my budget was limited. Should the electricity get knocked off, it allows me time to stop all torrents and shut down the pc.
A few months ago, I invested in a Belkin Home Series surge protector, recommended by Dexxy. I plug the UPS into that, and my cpu and monitor into the UPS. The main reason for choosing Belkin was the DSL protection for the modem. My pc is on almost 24/7 too, but I never leave it on if I'm out of the house for long periods.

Edit: A Belkin surge protector is a good investment, even though its pricey. I paid RM109 for my home series, at low yat plaza. It the smallest in the range, covering 19,500 AMPS.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:17:26 PM by RAN »

ocdetective

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
RAN, thanks for the info - looks like I am getting a similar model - think its the Belkin Surgemaster - though the cost is much higher than yours (luckily my company will pay for it!). Nice to know how other people are connecting theirs - basically your surge protector is the first line of defence.

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »
Gah! After reading all the horror stories, I think I better get one for myself!  :D

More clutter and more wires! :P

ocdetective

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
Donkey Xote - I have only limited my woes to the impact on the PC - never even mentioned the other problems the lightning strike caused in December - including melting the main circuit breaker in my house! It also affected some other electrical items - bust the motor on my treadmill (now it just keeps blowing fuses) and affected my wurlitzer jukebox too (but luckily the impact was limited to internal fusing on that)