Author Topic: Question regarding using the VPN through someone else's router/ISP account  (Read 5387 times)

Offline SeaTramp

Apologies if this question is adequately answered elsewhere; I couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm trialling BolehVPN (which is working well) on a Win7 laptop with a wifi connection to a router in a shared house. I'm not the ISP account holder - that's a man called 'Dude B', who isn't using a VPN or any means of IP concealment.

Let's say, hypothetically, some scoundrel used utorrent on my machine to download/upload files.
My computer's IP is hidden. BUT - does this matter? Since all the data would be going through Dude B's router, would any torrent activity still show up as originating from his unconcealed IP address, making him vulnerable to copyright-infringement accusations?

Because then there'd be little point in me using a VPN on my machine, if all the traffic'd point directly and obviously to Dude B, who couldn't tell a torrent from a tornado.

Please assume I'm only semi-savvy (hey, I got this far) if you're kind enough to answer!

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Question regarding using the VPN through someone else's router/ISP account
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
Hey :D

Your torrent activity is ENCRYPTED meaning ISPs or whatever is in between can't really tell what you are doing. Furthermore, your computer's network connects to the router that then connects to our VPN servers which establishes connections on your behalf. All your ISP sees is a connection to our VPN server.

Therefore anything within the VPN connection is protected. Those seeders/peers or fake ones will only see our VPN server and not anything behind it.

Hope that clarifies things
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline SeaTramp

Re: Question regarding using the VPN through someone else's router/ISP account
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Thanks, Reuben!

There's just something about networks I find very difficult to grasp, no matter how much I read about the subject. But that does indeed clarify things. I'd hate for Dude B to get harrassed for something some inconsiderate rascal did on my computer!  :)

I never really got the hang of long division either...