Author Topic: Do TM practise capping and the Fair Usage Policy?  (Read 8074 times)

Offline J

• BolehVPN Subscriber
Do TM practise capping and the Fair Usage Policy?
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:39:02 AM »
Dear BolehVPN staff and forumers,

We all know throttling is enforced (hence BolehVPN) but do TM cap the speed like some other broadband services when a certain download limit is reached? If so, what's the limit?

Lately, I've been getting less than 50% of my subscribed speed and my nightmare started a few nights ago when I was disconnected from the net whilst downloading from IPT. Once recovered, the speed is pathetic.

Please advise.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:41:28 AM by jchchye »

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Do TM practise capping and the Fair Usage Policy?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »
UniFi? Streamyx has no monthly transfer cap. I believe one is planned for UniFi in the future.

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:02 AM »
This is just a stab in the dark, but I think I may have experienced this before, and it usually happens after a rude disconnection. In my case, upon reconnecting, my bandwidth was somehow reduced to a lower number than the one I subscribed to. A simple manual disconnect/reconnect solved it for me. Or it could be you were unlucky and got a badly routed IP upon reconnecting. In both cases, the solution is the same.

If after several attempts at obtaining a new IP fails to restore your original speed, you might want to do a speedtest to see if TM accidentally miscapped your line.

Hope it works out for you. Do keep us updated.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:23:13 AM by The Schade »

Offline J

• BolehVPN Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
Thanks to the replies. I wish it's Unifi but no, its Streamyx. The IP [still] starts with 60.sumthing-sumthing. Speed's at 0.4Mbps (from Speedtest.net, TM's speedo, and modem's ADSL statistics). Far from my subscribed 1Mbps. Tried the manual disconnection a few times and lodged a report with TM already.

I sure hope it gets better.

freeman85

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »
if u got around 0.4mbps with ur 1mb streamyx speed then u are miscapped by tm
do follow-up on day basis on the report number, just to make sure they prioritize your case
and does not take your case lightly..
hope this help, do give feedback here :)

onephatcow

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »
if possible at all, try using another modem - I had this happen to me about a year ago when speeds kept dropping, and it was found not to be miscapped (tech guy came several times and measured using his router/modem and netbook).  I ended up returning my modem for a replacement, and magically, my line went back to full speeds.  Can't even begin to understand how the modem degraded itself but...

Offline J

• BolehVPN Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »
Dear all,

I've called up TM and I suppose that it's fixed; now that speed tests show the normal digits.

freeman85

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
good to know
happy downloading  ;)

smackers

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
Many technicians,CS at TMpoint saying that Wangsa Maju server is having problems due to previous recent network upgrade.The best part is...it also affects customers who wants to relocate their streamyx and phone line!

vincor

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »
I've juz subscribed to vpn. Seems to me for the 1day i had flying connection speed at a breaking speed of 150kb/s downloads from emule.
Nxt day my connection nv break 40kb/s and it's jumping from 3kb-20kb/s and occasionally hit 40.
It seems to me they do monitor the traffic and throttle our speed once our connection to a routed ip had exceed a certain amt of time and useage.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
vincor: actually i think this can be routing issue. If you take a look, a lot of surfing to international sites have been affected too
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

nazrix

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »
Any unifi users here? Do they enforce the monthly cap?