Author Topic: Using Windows 7 Firewall to block uTorrent  (Read 10494 times)

Offline LOTLSIN

Using Windows 7 Firewall to block uTorrent
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:13:18 AM »
I followed the instructions found here:http://bolehvpn.net/blocking-non-vpn-traffic.php
Initially they didnt work and i had to copy the full path for uTorrent from the shortcuts properties target field.
i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" if i didnt the path was truncated when searching for the program via Win7 Firewall.

Now past that hurdle it seems to be working, but the upload and download speeds ramp down slowly and do not immediately stop.
Is there some period of time that my I.P. would be exposed using this method?
I had been looking at using a few other programs to block uTorrents access, but none were very clear on how to set up.
I looked at VPNLifeguard, VPNWatcher and VPNetmon. Do any of these programs work and work well with Boleh?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Using Windows 7 Firewall to block uTorrent
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
Those programs should work, but we haven't spent any time testing them. Perhaps you'd like to use Comodo firewall instead? http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?topic=6621.0

Offline LOTLSIN

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
Chris,
Is it common to see the speeds ramp down? Does this same thing happen with Comodo? I have never been a big fan of Comodo products. Maybe its just a bad taste left after using their firewall a few years ago. It seemed buggy and resource hungry.

Another question for you. I was downloading something last night and noticed that both my Local Area Connection (Home Network) and the BolehVPN (Private Network) both showed data transfer. Im downloading through my HTPC directly to my NAS, so im assuming thats why the LAN shows the data. The Multiple Network connection to the Internet shown on the Win 7 Network and Sharing page has me a little concerned as well.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »
Yes, your speeds shown in uTorrent will ramp down to 0, they won't instantly drop to 0 when the VPN is disconnected. Same thing happens with Comodo, but the important thing is that your torrent client is not using your unprotected internet connection. You can check this from the firewall logs.

For your second question, that should be pretty self explanatory. Data is coming over the VPN, then pushed to your NAS over LAN.