Author Topic: Malaysia spies on its citizens?  (Read 5690 times)

weekender

Malaysia spies on its citizens?
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
Hi,

I was thinking of getting on board but recently came across this article:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/13/countries-privacy/

The article states that Malaysia (where you guys are incorporated) spies on its citizen with a spyware program called FinSpy.
I quote "The program can steal your passwords, access email accounts, capture images of computer screens, record video chats, log keystrokes, and turn on cameras and microphones."

That sounds a bit scary to me...
Sure Boleh doesn't keep logs, but what keeps the Malaysian government from directly plugin in to your servers and spy on its users?

I'm not just worried about the NSA spying. It's the spying itself that makes feel uneasy.

Best regards.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: Malaysia spies on its citizens?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Hi there,

None of our VPN servers are hosted in Malaysia, but instead are hosted all over the world. So, it's a bit hard for the government to access these servers and tap into them. Additionally, the program mentioned in this Infographic is FinFisher, a program that's installed on target computers, not servers, to monitor them. Usually infiltrated through the same channels as typical malware.

I'll refer this up to my superior for a more detailed reply, but this should cover the bases.

weekender

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply :)

So from what you are saying, it is not suggested to use your US based servers?
If NSA were to tap in your US servers, they'd have their law that would prohibit you from alerting your customers, but because you're incorporated in Malaysia,
these laws don't apply to you, and consequently, you'd let us know. Am I right? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »
For the NSA to want to target our servers, one of our users would have to have really pissed them off. We hope that none of our users are actively engaged in that sort of stuff. But the fact is, if you're a high value target, there's a lot of options for the NSA or any big agency to take to get to you.

Basically, if you're a normal user who has priorities on privacy and security, any of our servers would do, however for that additional boost in security we recommend using servers in more privacy friendly countries like Sweden.

weekender

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
Ok, I'm sold!