Author Topic: BolehVPN on Blackberry OS7 Devices  (Read 7641 times)

rainin

BolehVPN on Blackberry OS7 Devices
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
Hi Chris & Reuben,

Thanks for all the great work and effort you put in. Have been a satisfied customer of BolehVPN for a year.

Just had a question.

Is there any way to set up BolehVPN on Blackberry OS7 Devices?

Kindly have a look at this link http://www.supervpn.net/blog/tag/blackberry-vpn/

These guys have used "Cisco IOS with Easy VPN Server" as their gateway and put their VPN Server IP address as the "Concentrator Address"...

Could we do something like this with BolehVPN and use our server address as the Concentrator Address and choose Cisco IOS with Easy VPN Server as the gateway or is the server architecture different? I already have my certificate and all other credentials in a .p12 (#PKCS12) file, I just need to know what type of gateway should we choose and whether we can use our server address as the concentrator address....

Would be grateful if you could help me with this... Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:12:05 PM by rainin »

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: BolehVPN on Blackberry OS7 Devices
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
I do not know if this would work, however you are welcome to try it out for yourself if you want. If it works please update me on the steps you used and I'll create a guide for this.

What type of gateway options are there available for you to choose from? Try a fullyrouted-lux server, 94.242.213.5  see if you're able to connect.

rainin

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »
These are the gateway options, it says select Vendor Type:

Alcatel® 7130 Secure VPN Gateways
    Avaya® VSU® Series of VPN Gateways
    CheckPoint® Systems Software Technologies VPN-1
    Cisco ASA Series
    Cisco® VPN 3000 Concentrator Series
    Cisco Secure PIX® Firewall VPN
    Cisco IOS® with Easy VPN Server
    Lucent® VPN Firewall Brick® Series
    NetScreen® Systems Screen OS
    Nortel Networks® Contivity VPN Switch Series
    Secure Computing® Sidewinder® Firewall
    Symantec® Raptor Firewall and PowerVPN

Will try and let you know. Obviously, Android and iOS have the official OPENVPN Client and other alternatives, it's only older Blackberry devices (running OS7.1 and below) that have this problem, as they neither support OPENVPN profiles nor L2TP/IPSEC. However, the latest Blackberry OS10 devices apparently solve this problem, if I'm not wrong.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:27:05 AM by rainin »

rainin

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
It says Error - No Response from the Gateway.

Looks like this has to do with selecting the correct Gateway vendor type.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »
Hmm. If older Blackberries do not support OpenVPN nor L2TP then I'm afraid you're out of luck. Those preconfigured VPN profiles probably won't be using OpenVPN in that case.

rainin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:33:53 AM »
Ok. So, basically all Boleh's servers are OPENVPN based so these profiles cannot apply to them. Isn't there any server which matches these specifications?.

Some people at Blackberry's forums say that "Unfortunately BB uses the limited vendor devices based setup such as Cisco etc. This only works with specific setup on the VPN server end. Most commercial VPN providers uses vendor neutral setup through L2TP IPSec or less secure PPTP."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:40:49 AM by rainin »