Author Topic: Router Help  (Read 5227 times)

mayibay

Router Help
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »
I have a netgear g54 wireless router WGR614v10.I have this hardwired to my main pc.Using IPT  & bolehvpn it seems to work fine.I can download between 1mb/s-1.4mb/s.I can max out my line speed.

Here is my problem.My mom received  a laptop and a router as gift.It is a D-Link - N300 Dir 615.I hooked I installed the new router.I have 2 devices on the d-link.The main pc and the laptop.When using the normal cable line my speeds are fine on both devices.This is when I am not connected to open vpn.

The problem is when i use the new router,the  D-Link,and open vpn. Download and upload speeds drop by 80%.This is on my main pc which is hardwired to the router using open vpn.The laptop is not connected to open vpn, it's,just for surfing.Any ideas why? I ready to too pitch this d-link out the window!!!.I could have her return this router for another and get something that works with open vpn.This is aggravating. :-[
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:49:05 AM by mayibay »

wildwestgoh

Re: Router Help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »
Took me a while to understand your situation, and I'll summarize it here.

You had a Netgear G54 wireless router before, you connect your main PC to this using an Ethernet cable (not hard-wired, hard-wires could means soldered into the device, unplug-able.), you can achieve download speed (through VPN) up to 1.4Mbps.
You currently on a new wireless router DLink DIR-615 (N150, not N300) and the overall speed dropped by 80% (left 20% or dropped to 80%? Please clarify), the new laptop is also connected to the wireless router at the same time (or was it not??) doing normal surfing, no connected to any VPN.

Now if my understanding is right about your situation, your overall speed left 80% which is around 1.0Mbps peak speed? And at the same time the laptop connected to the wireless router is doing some web surfing.
Questions:
1. What's your ISP, and subscribed package? (i.e. StreamyX, 4Mbps Combo)
2. Do you have anything connected to your wireless router (Netgear G54) before you switch to the new one? (cable or wireless)
3. How did you setup your new wireless router? Is it WiFi protection up and running? (WEP, WPA2, etc.)
4. Have you ran speed test to ensure your connection is up to the expectation? (please post your result for both router)
5. Have you tried not to connect the laptop and download?
6. Is the condition of the download similar or same as before you switch to the new wireless router? (using BT?)