Author Topic: Oh No, Bad News  (Read 7648 times)

Offline maxbudin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
Oh No, Bad News
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »
I came across this troubling post at IPT. 
Quote "In the United States, a new law proposal called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced last week, and there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed from the internet and not just in the US.

Please see the following article from the Huffington Post for more information."

If this happens, Ive got speed for nothing, heh heh.  Waddaya think friends ?

Offline Schadenfreude

• Donator
  • Admiral
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Re: Oh No, Bad News
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »
I'm so not worried. I can't explain it, but I'm just not. AT ALL.  8)

btw, how is it even *remotely* possible for them to exercise any control over sites that are based outside the US? sure, they can block people within the US from accessing those sites, but to prevent anyone outside the US from doing so? impossible.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:42:35 AM by The Schade »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »
This shows how...and the reason why it probably wont be passed:

http://www.techeye.net/internet/combating-online-infringement-and-counterfeits-act-riles-rights-groups

still scary tho if it does get passed
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline maxbudin

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
Ya hoplefully youre right.  In almost all situations the world over, including M'sia, there will be the opposing voice in some kinda "rights groups" or what not.  So far their track record have not been very successful. Govts and coperations will either use strong armed tactics or sidestep them.  Money makes the world go round, in this instance Hollywood and other media institutions are major exports earnings.

According to article, this time, the bill is kinda brief.  "COICA is a fairly short bill, but it could have a longstanding and dangerous impact on freedom of speech, current internet architecture, copyright doctrine, foreign policy, and beyond,".  Leads one to think this is intentional so that they can expand its applicational "widths" as they go along.  The cheek of it all, the US Attorney General making demands on other nations.

“Where the registry or registrar is not located in the United States, the Act would provide the Attorney General the authority to serve the order on other specified third parties at its discretion, including ISPs, payment processors, and online ad network providers,” Leahy said.

This is just speculative wishfull thinking. But I wonder it this might lead to a point when the rest of the world stop the US treating them as if its their backyard.  Will there be another entity with independant resources big enough to administrate the rest of the world and break off from the US and let it be its own intranet. Imagine the political implications.

Oh well, we're not there yet but at least its good to know whats on the offing before any clamity.  Sorry, I'm not a doom and gloom person, just practical looking at the horizon. :)

Jaguar

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 02:10:39 AM »
How would the passage of this bill effect customers of Boleh?  Would we move to encrypted traffic?

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »
Your traffic is already encrypted, and the fully routed configs (Bolehroute / us surfing, etc) use an additional cypher on top of SSL authentication. This Bill failed to pass if I remember correctly.