Author Topic: "Stealth" VNP???  (Read 5947 times)

Offline skypilotpete

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
"Stealth" VNP???
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »
I have been reading claims on some forums that "some VPNs" offer a "stealth" service, which makes it difficult for ISPs to know that you are using a VPN at all. They claim that "normal" VPNs make it impossible for the ISP to know what you are doing, but it is still clear that you are using a VPN service. Is there any truth in this claim that it is possible to hide the fact that you are using a VPN service? Surely the ISP will always be able to see the IP of the server that the user's traffic is going through as its first port of call, and if that server belongs to a VPN provider.....

Any information about this will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
Re: "Stealth" VNP???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »
Hi skypilotpete

Stealth as you'd like you call it for VPN is known as 'XOR obfuscation' and the technology already exists, and BolehVPN uses it on their 'xcloak servers' which you can already use!

The packets are obfuscated making it not possible to detect you are using a VPN.

So use one of BolehVPN's 'xcloak servers' and you'll be on your merry way... :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:12:48 PM by Slacker »

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
That is indeed true though it appears there's still a way to block this if the firewalls only allow things that it recognizes through.

You can hide that you're using a VPN but at the same time you can't hide that there's some random-ish traffic going through.

yes we implement this via the xCloak already which scrambles the packet payload.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline skypilotpete

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I've now read the information on the website about xCloak. Could tell me if this service is suitable for torrenting? I don't need to use it at the moment, but I'm thinking about the future. The Australian government is preparing to crack down on file sharing activities, and some people are speculating that if VPNs become widely used to get around the government's regulations, then they may go after VPN users next. This may never happen of course, but I like to be prepared.

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
Yup it's suitable for torrenting however due to the increased obfuscation speed may be slower than a normal VPN.

For protecting yourself against anti-filesharing measures by a government, a normal VPN should be fine. Simply because this ensures it's a lot harder to prove that you were indeed file sharing. To check that you're filesharing through a VPN, they'd have to either crack the encryption or go after the VPN service itself, which for a single torrenting user isn't very worth it.

Offline skypilotpete

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Boatswain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.