Author Topic: 0.48 MB when connected to Boleh UK sites & 34.5 MB when no Boleh, please help  (Read 13770 times)

myallr

I'm in Brazil and the I'm using boleh to watch BBC iPlayer, however, every minute or two it pauses for 20 secs then carries on, then after 5-10 minutes I get the Insufficient Bandwidth

I tested the speed using speedtest.net and get the following:
0.48 MB connected to Boleh UK Surfing Streaming
0.45 MB connected to Boleh Fully routed UK
34.5 MB when I disconnect Boleh

There is loads of bandwith to stream multiple channels with my ISP, but not enough to stream 1 when using Boleh

Please help

Regards
Robin

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Who is your ISP? Can you test using a speedtest to a UK server instead of to a local server?
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Btw speedtest only tests local bandwidth. if you want to compare do a speedtest.net but force a UK test server.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

myallr

Hi Reuben

I connected to a random  UK server and ran speedtest.net again: UK IP address: 189.125.148.4 I got 4.18 MB

I just re-tested with Boleh on UK surfing/strreaming and only got 0.31 MB

It's pretty clear that the Boleh server has is more than 10 times less bandwidth than a random server I picked on speed test, which accounts for the issues I'm experiencing

Can you fix it?

All I want to do is watch iPlayer without it spinning out and disconnecting, are there any settings I can try?

My ISP:
I'm in the Renaissance Hotel in Sao Paulo
MY IP address: 189.125.148.4 resolves to "4.148.125.189.static.impsat.net.br"

Here's the output from IPCONFIG

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : docomointertouch.net
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d117:b7a0:d979:b0d3%12
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.188
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : docomointertouch.net
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e535:fcb3:99d3:33ba%10
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.3.51
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.3.1

myallr

Hi Reuben

I was trying to watch F1 on the iplayer but gave up as it kept cutting out after 5-10 seconds, then it would work again for 30 secs and display insufficient bandwidhth.  I had to keep re-starting the program and then find where I got to. 

So I gave up and decided to have a bath instead and listen to the radio, which is only 128KB.  I forgot to switch Boleh off and after getting in the bath for 2 minutes it stopped playing, insufficient bandwidth. 

Really? insufficient to play 128KB radio??  This is a wired connection (check previous IIPconfig post)

I switched off boleh and listened to the iplayer radio without any stops or bufferiing for 2 hours

I started using Boleh when I arrived in Brazil last week and it was buffering then, but I put up with a few re-starts thinkiing maybe it's my ISP's connection speed, but as it has got worse I did some investigation and it's definitely not the ISP, it's definitely the UK boleh servers

I have tried the following 3 routers, none provide an adequate service
  • Fully Routed UK
    UK surfing/Streaming
    TCP443server

Please can I have a refund as the service can't even play radio at 128K, let alone stream low quality TV  :(

Regards
Robin

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Let us look into this...Not sure why you are experiencing poor connectivity to our UK server. We'll extend your services by the appropriate amount once we've taken a look at things.

It has to be a UK server yes?

Co-Founder/Administrator

myallr

Yes, it has to be a UK server.  I only use this to watch the BBC iPlayer whilst travelling, which I do a lot of

I'm looking at other providers now as the Boleh service is currently not usable

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Not to worry. Looking into this as a priority now :D

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline PitBoss

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Please run this test.
1. Without vpn, download this file: http://br1uk.bolehvpn.net/test.img
2. Without vpn, download this file http://ukl2tp.bolehvpn.net/test.img

You do not need to download the file completely, maybe for few minutes and give us the result.
Once completed, do the same, but this this time connect to UK fully route server and then give us the result.

This is a direct file download from the VPN servers which is more accurate than speedtest.

PB

Co-Founder / Administrator

myallr

Ok, I'll run it when I get back tonight

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Any updates on this? I have tested on my end without any issues. Streaming from BBC iPlayer smoothly and could download up to 350-400 kB/sec
We did some minor tweakings on the server.

Co-Founder/Administrator

myallr

Hi Reuben
Been busy testing for the last hour or so, here's the results:
Boleh (MB in 1 minute)
br1UK 18MB test 1, 24 MB test 2
ukl2t2 19 MB test 1, 40 MB test 2

No Boleh (MB in 1 minute):
br1UK 72MB test 1, 68 MB test 2
ukl2t2 76 MB test 1, 77 MB test 2

I tested watching news at ten on the bbc iplayer and after 5-8 minutes it gave insufficient bandwidth, better than at the weekend but still poor

The boleh results when converted to MB/s give 0.3 to 0.6 MB/s which is on the border of streaming
The non-boleh results are above 1.1 MB/s, enough for streaming

With Boleh on the results are between 50% and 70% worse than with it off

However, it is inconclusive where the issues lie, is it the line between the two, your server, or the ISP this end throtlling my connection, so I thought I'd test with something independant, the bbc website, it's supposed to be pretty impartial and is giving results for streaming: the site follows
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics#results
Results:
Boleh ON:
 - Download Speed: 1832 KBPS
 - Streaming speed1: 722 KBPS
 - Streaming speed2: 849 KBPS
 - Streaming speed3: 845 KBPS
Average streaming 805 KBPS

Boleh OFF:
 - Download Speed: 5638 KB
 - Streaming speed1: 4988 KB
 - Streaming speed2: 6276 KB
 - Streaming speed3:7088 KB
Average streaming 6117 KBPS

Ok, what's the next steps?

I've been watching bbc iplayer tonight and it is better than at the weekend, but I'm still getting insufficient bandwidth every 5-8 minutes.  I guess your servers are busy at the weekend, but I'm still conssitently getting over 30 MB/s here with my local ISP

Regards
Robin

myallr

Hi Reuben

Which did you tweak, fully routed UK or UK surf/stream? or both?

Which has less traffic between midnight and 05:00 UK time?

Can you do a few more tweaks?  It has improved, but still falls over every 5-8 mins

regards

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
There's no more UK surf stream only Fully-Routed UK...

We only tweaked fully-routed UK for the moment br1uk.bolehvpn.net

Been on it for half an hour and no failure.

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Btw our servers are not 'busy' still lots of spare bandwidth. We're just doing tweaks to the network tuning to see if it will improve things...But hard to replicate from here since we have different routings to the server.

Co-Founder/Administrator