Author Topic: Questions about Open Ports, Dns Sever, and BolehRoute  (Read 6066 times)

2012bolevpnuser12

Questions about Open Ports, Dns Sever, and BolehRoute
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
After running some port scans I noticed that on most servers have port 22 SSH Remote Login Protocol was wide open, is its something between the Bolehvpn and my computer and its safe?  could some hack into this port? I always thought the first 1056 ports should be stealth or at least closed? Could i close it on my router, or would this affect the connection to the vpn?

When running the scan i also got the following messages

No return dns Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account — and therefore you — and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location.

Is this a worry or concern ? if it is should i use Bole dns  and if so what is the dns number?

Also reading this post

http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php/topic,5328.0.html

It says your giving up some security for faster downloads and you isp can analyze  your data.

How much security are you giving up for downloading faster  torrents ?

right now i use fullrouted Luxenbourg  is is fast, is it not the most secure one to use ? which is the most secure for torrents. What does BolehRoute mean and what server/servers does it apply to?

What does it mean that  my isp can analyze  my data? , basically i don't want my isp to know when im downloading movies and songs because they have starting to log this to help the entertainment industry. So i don't want my real ip traceable to a specific torrent that i am downloading.

So with Luxenbourg can my isp know what i am downloading, or can they only tell im logging on to a vpn ?

If luxenbourg is not the enycrpted and the safest, what server should i use and how much of a download decrease should i expect?

also what is the most secure for media streaming for the uk and usa, i would prefer my isp dosent know i am using a vpn to access hulu, pandora , iplayer etc.

What servers are encrypted?

Thank you

2012bolevpnuser12

Re: Questions about Open Ports, Dns Sever, and BolehRoute
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
also when i ran a dns test it showed 3 servers, it showed  b.root.lu and the other two belonged to my isp's

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
I'll reply in detail later but just to know some of the posts are out of date and I'm now scouring the forums removing outdated data.
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

eighty

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:14:21 AM »
also when i ran a dns test it showed 3 servers, it showed  b.root.lu and the other two belonged to my isp's
u will need to set your dns to 0.0.0.0 on your NIC or use vpncheckpro's fix dns leak option
see http://www.dnsleaktest.com for more info

hopefully this gets added to the client soon, if not fixed ISP can see some/all dns even when using vpn

2012bolevpnuser12

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »
Ok, Reuben let me know when you can.