Author Topic: Boleh with OpenWRT  (Read 10002 times)

Offline billbart

Boleh with OpenWRT
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Where can I find info on how to configure Boleh with a router running OpenWRT?

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
Re: Boleh with OpenWRT
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
Hi billbart,

I tested out OpenWRT in the past, and from what I can remember it seemed like pretty straight forward OpenVPN settings/options in the web/gui interface.

Are you using it with an interface or command line?

So if you understand OpenVPN, then looking through a .ovpn config file, is all you really need to understand, pretty much like setting up OpenVPN from the command line in Linux.

What are you stuck on?

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »
Just a thought here, but have you tried DD-WRT? I've been using it for around 3-4 years with BolehVPN and it's been great, also a lot simpler to deal with.

I know that DD-WRT pumps out firmware versions and documentation isn't the greatest, but I have had only a few minor issues over the years, and it's been rock solid.

I'm a pretty serious Linux Geek and I was turned off by OpenWRT and found DD-WRT to be a better solution, but of course, each to his own...

Offline billbart

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
Just a thought here, but have you tried DD-WRT? I've been using it for around 3-4 years with BolehVPN and it's been great, also a lot simpler to deal with.

I know that DD-WRT pumps out firmware versions and documentation isn't the greatest, but I have had only a few minor issues over the years, and it's been rock solid.

I'm a pretty serious Linux Geek and I was turned off by OpenWRT and found DD-WRT to be a better solution, but of course, each to his own...

I decided to give DD-WRT a try.  Question about the install, when choosing a server do the security settings from the ovpn file of choice (eg "FullyRouted-Luxembourg.ovpn) need to be inputed exactly into DD-WRT?  The Boleh guide only mentions the IP address needs to be inputed, seems to imply the security settings are user choice, is that correct?  I went through the guide, copy and pasted everything, but no activity of any kind in the OpenVPN log in DDWrt.

Offline billbart

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:08:32 AM »
After playing around I've discovered my network setup requires OpenWRT.  DDWRT wont work.  Can you provide me with any more instruction on how to setup Boleh with OpenWRT?

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:22 AM »
DD-WRT is simpler to use, so if you struggled with that, then OpenWRT might be a real challenge, something to consider.

OpenWRT and DDWRT are just firmware for routers and embedded devices, networks don't require them. Not sure what you mean that your network requires OpenWRT?

Are you using a GUI front-end with OpenWRT? If so take screen shots so I can see the settings/options.

Offline billbart

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
DD-WRT is simpler to use, so if you struggled with that, then OpenWRT might be a real challenge, something to consider.

OpenWRT and DDWRT are just firmware for routers and embedded devices, networks don't require them. Not sure what you mean that your network requires OpenWRT?

Are you using a GUI front-end with OpenWRT? If so take screen shots so I can see the settings/options.

My modem is only detectable with OpenWRT firmware.  Im fairly comfortable configuring OpenWRT using Putty and WinSCP.  I have copied the necessary files to the openvpn folder on the router, and I am able to connect to the VPN server, but I get this error in a loop as it keeps trying to reconnect:

daemon.err openvpn(nordvpn)[2449]: Connection reset, restarting

daemon.notice openvpn(nordvpn)[2449]: SIGUSR1[soft,connection-reset] received, process restarting

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:57:30 PM by billbart »

Offline Slacker

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
Are you using OpenVPN from the command line, or do you have a web gui interface for OpenWRT?

If there's a gui interface, I need to see screen shots of all the settings.