Author Topic: softwares  (Read 14361 times)

zniper982

softwares
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
Hi.I'm just want to ask whether any of you guys know abt softwares which can control other computer as long as it connected to the internet.I will be away for a very long time soon and my celcom broadband suck at downloading torrent. So I was wondering whether a software which enable me to control my desktop from far away was available and I want to know the name of that software? Thank you

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
Re: softwares
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »
Try Teamviewer. Leaving a computer on like this with an open way for people to access it is dangerous though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:25:51 AM by Chris »

zniper982

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »
wasn't there any password required to control the other computer? I will try the softwares.Thanks

Offline Chris

• BolehVPN Staff
  • Admiral
  • Beneath a cobalt moon
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
Sorry, I meant Teamviewer not Tunnelblick. Yes, you can configure a password, but it's still risky as your password can be intercepted through an unsafe network.

Offline Reuben

• Chief Doraemon
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
I thought the authentication was encrypted?
*If you like my service/support, please consider posting a positive feedback here*<3

Co-Founder/Administrator

Offline alpha

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:16:44 AM »
why not just use "Remote desktop connection" that comes with windows?

eugenet

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
Remote desktop is not available on XP Home, I think.

zniper982

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:45 PM »
owh,remote desktop.i will try to google on how to use it.thanks

louislee1991

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »
If u have Windows XP Pro, then got Remote Desktop

Offline PitBoss

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
If you have crazy firewall settings then use logmein or teamviewer and you don't have to do portforwarding for these two apps.

As for RDP you need to do port forward and applied dynamic dns for your PC connections, if you don't then you are going to be in deep shit figuring its IP address once it gets disconnected and reconnected. Using ddns, you can access your RDP sessions by using its name rather than IP.

Google DDNS on how to register your ddns and for port forwarding, download simpleportforwarding, configure it and then just make sure your pc is on all the time while you gone. You can RDP anywhere. RDP is recommended if you are in this country.

Co-Founder / Administrator

Offline alpha

• BolehVPN Subscriber
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »
oh btw, other than DDNS enabled on ur modem, also run "no-ip" on ur pc....double protection..just incase either one dont work, the other can work as backup.
thats in my case..:)

lol

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »
if its windows XP or above and u can setup the DDNS and port-forwarding for it, than Remote Desktop Protocol is a good solution as it seamlessly integrated into windows and for me, the best performer of the other solution.

But the hassle of setting it up is a down side, for rapid deployment Teamviewer or LogMeIn is a better solution especially Teamviewer. It helps with ppl behind firewall and NAT networks. Both of them use SSL connection.

Try Teamviewer. Leaving a computer on like this with an open way for people to access it is dangerous though.
I believe you are talking about VNC which by default, is not a secure protocol. Password is transmitted in plain text and connection are not secured. While some of its derivatives do have addons or plugins that encrypt the connection, one can also tunnel using SSH or VPN for extra protection. I wouldn't recommend VNC for Windows to windows remote desktop operation because like RDP, you need to config your router and firewall. Plus, the lessen security factor. But it is great for crossplatform remote desktop